The Truman Show

by ballistic 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ballistic
    ballistic

I think everyone who likes the Truman show will like this link whether you are religious or not. I am not religious but open minded. When I first saw the Truman show, I was struck by it's deeper under tones and the philosophical questions it raises. I stumbled on this link to a site dedicated to these ideas, and it's absolutely fascinating. Please let me know if N E 1 else finds this interesting?

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/truman.htm

p.s. I'm also a fan of the Matrix which also has a constructed reality theme.

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

"The Truman Show" made me think of "The Devil's Advocate" for some reason, with Reeves's decision to take a chance and kill himself instead of remaining in a position he found stifling and unacceptzble to him mirrored by Truman's exit into the unknown...

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It does seem like a presentation of conspiracy paranoia - people out to get you - even God out to get you - the stuff of end of the world thinking.

Have you noticed how star wars is catholic? Plain brown robed monks, who use a sword of light - who recognise royalty - who have spiritual bodies in the next life that appear sometimes - even apprentice 'paduans' - who don't possess things, who don't marry - one of their own who turns, but no matter how bad, he is forgiven.

paduan

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

I really don't think Christof was meant to be portrayed as God, more as Satan, the AntiChrist, or one of those men misleading many... The site Ballistic links to has some very interesting comments!

• Preston
  • ashitaka
    ashitaka

I liked the Truman show, only because it hit me in places that I understood well. Remember when they're all looking for him, arm to arm across the city? Reminded me of Witnesses ceaselessly trying to get us to come back to meeting and harass us about the troof.

Normally, I hate most movies, but I liked this one.

ashi

• ballistic
    ballistic

Very interesting. Found a piece on the Matrix too.

http://www.metaphilm.com/philms/matrix1.html

starts..

While the stated reason for the early release and accelerated post-production process of The Matrix was to beat the marketing hype that surrounded The Phantom Menace, it is not without coincidence that The Matrix was released on the last Easter weekend of the dying twentieth century. It is a parable of the original Judeo-Christian worldview of entrapment in a world gone wrong, with no hope of survival or salvation short of something miraculous. The Matrix is a new testament for a new millennium, a religious parable of the second coming of mankind's messiah in an age that needs salvation as desperately as any ever has.

Edited by - ballistic on 15 June 2002 10:20:1

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

Very interesting link, ballistic. I had never even considered the possiblity of a religous subtext in the movie, but I'm not really all that deep.

A few years back some friends and I were staying in Destin, FL and discovered that the town that The Truman Show had been filmed in was about an hour away. We took a bit of a road trip and visited this amazingly beautiful community called Seaside, FL. (http://www.seasidefl.com) It was incredibly surreal seeing all of these settings from the movie. We walked through there for what must have been hours gawking at all of the architecture and landscaping.

Brian

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Dude, don't ever read anything by Philip K. Dick, it will permanently alter your perception of reality. Especially don't read A Scanner Darkly.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I'm looking for it at Amazon now - C YA!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit