Is apostate an appropriate term for us?

by sleepy 40 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Quote:

Gumby,

"No, that is not true. Apostasy must be understood in context. The Jews that still believed in the Law were apostate according to Paul and not as you suggest."

Look up the meaning and see if it does not apply both ways. It is a deviation from an 'orthodox' way.

The Jews or Christians could be considered such.....depending on WHO you are asking.

Edited by - Gumby on 14 June 2002 15:54:38

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Well I must admit, having recently left the borg, when I was first told about an apostate website, I was a tad frightened. I mean all my life I knew that apostates were these people who stood outside the conventions, and were fanatical, and probably kicked puppies, stole accordians from blind monkeys, and hauled off bad little children in the night to be their migions of evil.

But than again the term fits in it's standard usage, if you know what it really means, and stop dealing with stereotypes and lies...guess ya just gotta be open minded, and open a dictionary.

• RR
    RR
    I mean all my life I knew that apostates were these people who stood outside the conventions, and were fanatical, and probably kicked puppies, stole accordians from blind monkeys, and hauled off bad little children in the night to be their migions of evil.

Hey, I resemble that comment!

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

If the vague definition of Apostate is "abandoning ones faith", then I feel that I could not be labled an apostate. You would first have to believe in something to abandon it. I knew that it was all a bunch of crap from the beginning, therefore I never really believed it, and cannot be labled as such.

EK

• obiwan
    obiwan

I just prefer to be viewed as someone with a clear and unobstructed point of view,not having things clouding my judgement.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

What's up with labels anyway?

I'm sure not everyone here is an apostate, just as I am sure some are very happy with the name.

Frankly I hate all labels...

• RR
    RR

I find it interesting that the term apostasy only appears twice in the Greek Scriptures and it was applied to the man of sin. Never is applied to any member of the congregation. The two laces are in:

And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs. Acts 21:21

"To forsake" is the word "apostasia" in the Greek, which means "falling away" "defection." The other reference is found in 2 Thess. 2:3

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Yet, the NWT not only applies to anyone who defects from the Society, but they have inserted teh word throughout the old an new testaments, just like they did with "Jehovah."

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I was at first disturbed when my mother called me an apostate and pretty much implied that my days for living were numbered. However, these days I'm kind of proud of bearing the title. If "they" want to label me an apostate, I'll wear it proudly.

• COMF
    COMF

I'm apostate and proud of it. No one can deny me my apostatiousness.

• Simon
    Simon

I like the word but only because it instills such fear in them when you tell them you are an Apo.

Perhaps 'dissident' would be more accurate althought we could put a better spin on it and call ourselves Freedom Fighters for the Liberation of Captive Souls (or something equally grandious sounding but meaningless)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit