Gods name

by Mr.logic 36 Replies latest jw friends

• cappytan
    cappytan

Mr.logic: I responded to your PM yesterday and apologized and acknowledged that in retrospect, I could have framed my response differently. I accepted full responsibility and in no way implied you were being overly sensitive or that you were unjustified in your opinion of my comments.

I appreciate your input on how I came across to you.

However, I'm not sure what else you want from me...unless you're trying to elicit a flame war, which I'll have no part of.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Here's one for you, in the first century according to more then one source the name of the Israelites God was Helios. So there let's argue over that for awhile.

• Mr.logic
    Mr.logic
    NoNot at all, just seeking a way out of persecution, and as you seem a mentor of this site, as a lot of people look up to your words, it was so easy to speak down in something so simple, so I offered my words. Does it justify action.cappytan
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

I think it very much is a big deal! I was trained to go to people's door's and tell them that they couldn't have an acceptable relationship with god unless they used the name Jehovah. No wonder the Catholics and Protestants laughed at me when I said that. The majority of Christendom doesn't use the name because its a hybrid, man-made name. The real name is unknown. "Lord" or "father" is sufficient as Jesus set the example in calling him those titles.

It ticks me off that those little details were never taught to me in Pioneer School or the thousands of meetings that I have been to in my life time. Just because the society acknowledged it once in an obsolete publication in the early 70's doesn't make them transparent and up front about the problem of using Jehovah and calling it the only true name of god. The majority of witnesses today have no idea that the name is a mistransliteration and the product of a 13th century monk's imagination.

If people want to use the name Jehovah or Yahweh, that's fine. But they should know and teach the truth about the origin's of the name.

• johnamos
    johnamos

HM-TM you are correct in your statement and it baffles me why there are those that harp on the correct pronunciation of God’s name but have no problem using the name Jesus when it comes to the Son of God.

His Hebrew name is Yehoshua, so why not call him that or the English form of the Hebrew, Jehoshua? No instead they call him the English form of the Latin form of the Greek form of the Hebrew.

Hebrew - Yehoshua > Greek – Iesous > Latin - Iesus > English – Jesus

English – Jehoshua

As far as a 13th century mistake, the name can be seen by Hebrew names that no one disputes as being incorrect.

JHVH + vowels E O A = Jehovah

Jehoshua - Jehovah Is Salvation

Jehoram - Jehovah Is Exalted

Jehoshaphat - Jehovah Is Judge

Jeremiah - Jehovah Exalts

Isaiah - Salvation of Jehovah

Zephaniah - Jehovah Has Concealed

Obadiah - Servant of Jehovah

And as far as EL.

Ezekiel - God Strengthens

Daniel - My Judge Is God

Joel - Jehovah Is God

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Johnamos,

I fully agree!

Frank

• cappytan
    cappytan
    as you seem a mentor of this site, as a lot of people look up to your words,

For the record, I'm just a lowly fader who is still trying to figure out my smooth exit. I by no means consider myself a mentor of the site. I'm just a regular member, trying to have a good time, and enjoying intellectually stimulating discussions.

• Mr.logic
    Mr.logic
    Life wherever it seems to take us is a game of chess, the pawns move with one objective to get the king, we have all become our own kings. So as a pawn it is endless. . Our past defines and creeps its way into the simplest of things, its our nature. We shy away and hide. What have we become, an endless discussion.
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The Hebrews adopted the name "YHWH" (actually HWHY) from their neighbours.

YHWH was a minor warlike god, one of the pantheon of 70 gods ruled by the god name El. When the Hebrews adopted YHWH they gave him El's wife, Asherah. Archaeologists confirm this, as does the Biblical reference to the Asherah poles.

The Biblical records we read are of the group at Jerusalem who opposed that arrangement. They wanted only one god and they wanted all worship to be centred in Jerusalem. Any who opposed them is characterised as "evil", and the punishment at the hands of the mighty Babylonians was attributed by them to the actions of their opponents by worshiping Asherah, Ba'al, and so on.

Doug

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Doug, I know you mean well and are sincere but I cannot agree, Your sources are faulty,

Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit