Gods name

by Mr.logic 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do agree with DA Cappytan that this is far from a major issue, but JW's themselves are prone to making a lot of it, the Borg itself has written with pride about how they are so great and clever for using the name.

Very few R&F JW's are aware that the true pronunciation of YHWH is lost, or that the vowels from Adonay and Elohim, two Hebrew words for Lord, were added arbitrarily by the above mentioned Catholic Monk to JHVH, to make the nonsense name "Jehovah".

I say nonsense name because it bears no relation to the Tetragrammaton etymologically.

From memory the Monks name was Martini, perhaps he had been drinking some of the stuff named the same when he thought that what he did was a good idea !

• cappytan
    cappytan

lol...I'm just gonna stay out of these discussions in the future. :P

I do NOT want to be known as District Attorney Cappytan. lol

• johnamos
    johnamos

CAP There are plenty of other things to criticize the Borg for than this issue.

DF I do agree with cappytan on this, there are more serious issues to criticize the bOrg on.

PHIZ I do agree with DA Cappytan that this is far from a major issue,

Sensible view :)

That said, no matter what vowels are placed between YHWH it can’t be said with certainty that it is correct but you can use the J for Y and the V for W and it is necessary to attempt to put vowels in order to pronounce the YHWH/JHVH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton

-----------------

Yahweh

Yehowah

Jehowah

Yehovah

Jehovah

-----------------------

Yehoshafat

Jehoshaphat

------------------

Yehoram

Jehoram

----------------

Yehoash

Jehoash

------------------

Yehoshua >

> Greek – Iesous > Latin - Iesus > English - Jesus

Jehoshua >

-------------------

Isaiah

Jeremiah

Zephaniah

Zechariah

Nehemiah

--------------------------

YHWH

Yehoshua/Jeremiah

Yehowah

------------------------

YHVH

Yehoshua/Jeremiah

Yehovah

-----------------------

JHWH

Jehoshua/Jeremiah

Jehowah

------------------

JHVH

Jehoshua/Jeremiah

Jehovah

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

for JW's the name Jehovah is really a brand. It's their brand as they see it. If someone in the congo starts using Yahweh, this is person will draw suspicion, even if this name is more accurate. Why? because he is rejecting the brand. At some point someone will approach this person and tell him he must use Jehovah.

Accuracy is not all that important in the JW universe, what is important is conformity and the perception of unity.

• Mr.logic
    Mr.logic
    It never was an argument, it was a test, just needed to see who was genuine, and who plays egotistical god on here, I suppose the scars are still there, and some take it out on a simple question, as for me, I think I will stick around.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    God's name was El according to the Cannaanites, with different adjectives following that designation like El - shaddai. Many people say the word El was not his name just a title like diety or God. I respectfully disagree because it was only his designation. No other God was called El-dagon or el-yamm. When you have a king there's usually only one and when you refer to the king even if you don't mention his name everyone in that kingdom knows who your talking about. By the way the Israelites were cannaanites.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

The Watchtower for all its faults has been plain that the pronunciation "Jehovah" is not an accurate pronunciation only the most common one.

This a non-issue.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Crazyguy is right
  • OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The Watchtower for all its faults has been plain that the pronunciation "Jehovah" is not an accurate pronunciation only the most common one...This a non-issue. ....HM-TM

The name Jehovah is a 13th Century Catholic Translation Mistake..

Without the Catholics..

The Watchtower wouldn`t have a Name for its God..Or..It`s religious JW Cult..

• Mr.logic
    Mr.logic
    You see, by stirring the pot you get others to come out and have a voice, as with others on this forum users ask permission and with all due respect cappytan you seem to shut people down quickly. An enduring trait you retained from a childhood of service, do I scare you with my simplicity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit