Kid's Names

by StinkyPantz 26 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

This is really dumb but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Well, I am in a bi-racial relationship. My husband is white and I am black. I've been wanting a kid really bad and I've shared some ideas for names with him. Unfortunately he thinks the names I like are too BLACK. He says we can't give our kids black names, what if the comes out looking more white. I personally don't think it matters but he has a 50/50 say in it. For all of you out there in bi-racial relationships or anyone at all what did you name your kids? Or does anyone have any unique name that don't sound too BLACK or WHITE? Give me first and middle names pretty please, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Stinky

You have mail.

I like Stevie for a girl!

Beck

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

It's funny, but whenever black folks in my neighborhood (the one i grew up in), including a number of black JWs, heard my name b4 they saw my face, they'd comment: "hey, thought you were black...you're name sounds so black." but it's me and my cracker-looking face.

btw, my profile picture is of me around the time i got "buddha-ized", around 9 years old.

and no, i don't look like a nerd anymore...my mom used to dress me like that when i was kid....damn, control freak always telling me, "i don't care how the other kids look. they're worldly. if they jumped off a cliff, are you going to do the same?"

justin, the dustrabbit

Edited by - dustrabbit on 14 June 2002 2:47:47

Edited by - dustrabbit on 14 June 2002 2:49:20

• terafera
    terafera

My sister is white and married to a black man. They have 4 kids... nice names but pretty common like Michael, Christopher..

I dont think race matters... just pick names that you both agree on. There is a black family that lives next door ..big family, 7+ kids, and most of the end with -ah. Shenequa, Leshonta, DeShawna... IMO, I would steer clear from that route.

I guess white names would be simple names? like johnny, jack, tom, steve.

There was a really cool website I came across once, (lost it, damn Quick Restore!) and it had thousands of very exotic and unique names. Do a search on kids names.. tell us what you think!

Got any favorites so far?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

I would suggest in JW fashion:- Zechariah Obed Methuselah Noah Moses Abraham. VERY spiritual.

• Valis
    Valis

or you could just call them Offspring until they can name themselves...then they can't hate you later on....

'Daddy"...

"Yes Offspring?"

"I decided on a name".

"oh do tell...?"

"I like the name AYEOU"

"ok, why?"

"Just say my name..."

"Dammit AYEOU, what's all this about?"

"Now that you've said it and admit to oweing me, I'll take the credit card, a college education, and all your hair that isn't gray already..."

Sincerely,

District overbeer

• finnrot
    finnrot

Hi Stinky,

My ex-wife is black and I'm white. Our daughters are named Jana Arica and Brittany Anne.

They weren't named after anybody, we just thought the names were nice. Jana is fair skinned, so she looks like a beautiful exotic Irish girl and Brittany is lightly tanned, she looks like a beautiful Italian girl.

They both have beautiful loose curly dark hair. We sent them both to private schools, which I highly recommend. They will both be attending U.C. Davis next semester and I couldn't be prouder.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Beautiful names, finnrot.

My suggestion is to use names that aren't race specific, even use names that are more internationally-based.

eg. Phillip is from Greece, Rachael is Jewish, Lara is Russian, Gabrielle is French, etc.

• finnrot
    finnrot

Thanx Prisca.

My wife Charlotta got to choose Janas name and so she let me choose our second daughters name. That seemed to work out nicely.

Edited by - finnrot on 14 June 2002 5:36:54

• Mackin
    Mackin

Or you could be like the people of Samoa and name your kids after important events in your life or places you like or even products your like the sound of.

For example, I used to know a guy who was named after the theme of the 'dub convention that was held the year he was born: His name was "Divine Victory" (he called himself Victor). And I heard of another kid who was named "Ajax", after a popular brand of bathroom cleaning powder at the time.

Hey, at leat no-one would accuse you of being "too black, or "too white" if your kid was named "Panasonic" or "Nokia" or "Hewlett Packard" would they.

(Any Samoan's reading this: No offense intended.)

Edited for spelling (again).

Red wine & good spelling just don't go together do they. :-)

Edited by - Mackin on 14 June 2002 5:39:25

Edited by - Mackin on 14 June 2002 5:40:55

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit