Early Morning Informal Witnessing, Yay!!

by kairos 13 Replies latest jw friends

• kairos
    kairos

How many of us would get up and "start your time" by 6:00am or earlier?

I sure did my fair share and convinced many others to join me semi-regularly.

We'd stand out in front of "somewhere/something", you remember?

Donut shop, 7-11, liquor store ( genius ), driving to laundry rooms or coin-op's, etc..

Anyway, this past Sunday I was pumping fuel for the long trip home early in the morning out of L.A. to NorCal, when I spotted a young, energetic version of myself 20 years ago. All zealous and fearless. 25 year oldish witness with bible and JW.ORG banner sticking out of the top of it.

It was like a little billboard poking right out of his bible ( from god )

So he engages me.

I immediately interrupt, telling him that I was a JW for 25 years and no longer attend, not DF'd or DA'd. I pointed to my wife in the truck and mentioned that she still attends all of the meetings. He sort of sputtered. It broke his rhythm.

I told him about Watchtower being a ten year member of the UN. He wanted to know where I heard that. I told him I read the public notice issued by the UN due to so many inquiries on the matter. He said I should know better. He said it's all lies and I should know better.

Then it got super weird.

He's backing away while scolding me, smiling and waving to my wife as she waves back.

Then more cowardly denial as I mention that we were studying the Revelation book while we were members of the UN. He excused himself and gave one more "thumbs up" to my wife. She waved back.

How cute!

So, I turn and finish pumping.

My wife didn't ask me what I said to him for nearly 6 hours.

It was amusing.

-------

Love to hear some experiences

• Listener
    Listener

Kairos, was that a keying error, was it really 6 hours?  I'm interested to know what kind of impression you may have left him with.  Your wife is so patient, you are a lucky man.  I also wonder why she didn't hop out of the car and come and join you but I think I know why and it would seem that she really does know TTATT.

Thanks for sharing.

I stopped and talked to a JW elder in a Hong Kong Mall earlier this year.  We had a great discussion and he was interested in listening and naturally added his reasoning on matters.  He wanted my phone number in the end so I gave him my email address but he still has not emailed. 

• kairos
    kairos

It really was 6 hours. 

We were on a 12 hour road trip.

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog
    he got exposed and didn't know how to handle it.  good work you planted seeds
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

He said I should know better. He said it's all lies and I should know better.

The bottom line is, that's exactly the type of thought-stopping that's cults use.

I spent decades aggressively telling others that THEY needed to critically examine the beliefs and practices of THEIR religions. Yet, I was indoctrinated that critically examining MY JW religion was bad and I should know better.

Can't "the truth" defend itself from examination and criticism? Truth can. Watchtower trooth cannot. Their "nulite" has to continually run away, hide, re-nulite itself, in an effort to escape from the real truth about their false prophecies and greedy materialism. Take off the cult goggles and you see JWs and their GB for what they are--a cult.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Did you ever get a chance to tell him that the WT itself tried to issue an excuse (that was too little, too late).
  • kairos
    kairos

The conversation ended abruptly with him backing away "like a crawdad back into his hole".

I'll never forget that illustration used by an especially feisty Circuit Overseer.

The young JW pioneer will either have to pretend he did not hear my words or he'll battle with himself to prevent the doing of independent research.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I also like to engage "younger versions of myself"!

I see these super keen witnesses, and think to myself, "ahh...only 20 years ago that was me.... over-righteous and ignorant, while super judgemental and smug in my assurance that "we" alone had the TRUTH"

Now if I see younger ones at the carts (especially if it is not in my area)  I go up and politely say things like "how can the truth change so much?" or some other divisive comment...(take your pick)

If they realise I am a still-in witness from another area I joke as if I was having fun with them PRETENDING to be an apostate...

• kairos
    kairos

That could be the ultimate reply to someone that charges another with apostasy:

"I was just pretending".

This plan can not fail!

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator
    Wow, that's an unhealthy dose of denial.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit