New Zealand Death not due to underwear

by messenger 11 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger
    Thursday June 13, 2002
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storyprint.cfm?storyID=2046387
    Underwear prank before lost teenager died in bush

13.06.2002 -

A prank involving women's underwear had not embarrassed 14-year-old Elon Oved into wandering off and getting lost in the bush, his tramping companions told the Coroner's Court in Westport yesterday.

Elon's body was found near the Alfred River, at Springs Junction, on February 10, 10 weeks after he got lost during an overnight tramp to Lake Daniells.

He was one of 11 members of the Halswell Jehovah's Witnesses who headed into the area on December 1 last year.

The death of the teenager has divided the group of formerly close friends and the police warned them yesterday against arguing in the courthouse.

The court heard that as a prank on a church elder and "prude", one of the group stashed women's underwear in his pack and photographed one of the boys wearing a bra when they arrived at the lake hut.

Others were photographed, without their knowledge, while urinating.

The photographer, Erik Sowman, said it was just a lark and everyone, including Elon, "thought it was a great joke".

But Elon's father, Rami Oved, suggested that it had so embarrassed his son that when he went to change out of his wet clothes, he was forced further into the bush because he was afraid of being photographed.

Coroner Peter Roselli was told how Elon and the two other teenagers in the party spent the afternoon frolicking in an inflatable dingy on the lake.

They had a break in the hut mid-afternoon, when the underwear incident took place, and then returned to the lake until about 6pm.

Several witnesses said Elon was laughing and having fun the whole time. His close friend, Phillip Mehrtens, 15, said he showed no signs of distress after the underwear incident.

When the trio arrived back at the hut, Elon said he would change in the outside toilet because the hut was too crowded.

Ray Oved, 17, said the last time he saw his brother he was happy, "joking and excited because he had just seen an eel".

But he said Elon had acted strangely when he said he was going to get changed and he "sensed" he was not happy.

When he did not return after five minutes, two of the youngsters sneaked over to the toilet to give him a fright but he was not there.

- NZPA

Copyright 2002, NZ Herald
  • terafera
    terafera
    two of the youngsters sneaked over to the toilet to give him a fright

God, how much joking around did they need to do with this poor kid? Cant they tell when to give it up....

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

The death of the teenager has divided the group of formerly close friends and the police warned them yesterday against arguing in the courthouse

Hummmm I wonder how and why they are devided? Because some are telling the truth about the pranks and some are not?

• Been there
    Been there

The court heard that as a prank on a church elder and "prude", one of the group stashed women's underwear in his pack and photographed one of the boys wearing a bra when they arrived at the lake hut.

OK, what am I missing here? A 14 year old Elder??????

I'm confused!!!!

KY

• Been there
    Been there

Sorry, trying to get the hang of this new stuff.

KY Been

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I heard the boy's father (also an elder) has moved away and has isolated himself and his family....the congregation is divided as the elder in charge of the camping expedition was thought to be negligent by some. I think the comment was made back when this first got revealed by the media was that the pranking was never revealed due to fear of reprisal from the body of elders etc. This isn't surprising...considering the fact that the society does try to keep a low profile when the media is involved.

My heart goes out to the boy's family...I read Rami Oved's story in one of the Awakes some years ago....there are some who post here who knew the family personally...i'm sure they have more accurate updates on the situation.

Beck

• nancee park
    nancee park

Don't try to confuse things, "Been There." This is a case of harassment

that ended in death. It clearly said 14 year old Elon not 14 year old Elder.

Nor is this the only such incident. The Watchtower Society and its policies

on "refining of the flock," bleeding deaths and sexual molestation have resulted

in many many other deaths.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    The death of the teenager has divided the group of formerly close friends and the police warned them yesterday against arguing in the courthouse.

I think this statement is interesting too. My guess would be that some are telling the truth and others are lying and all are struggling with "how not to give the organization a bad name" (impossible at this point eh? lol)

I am sure the branch is concerned due to the notoriety of this and all persons involved in this would likely have been advised on what to say in the interests of "protecting the organization". The organization is probably trying to distance themselves from the actions of these persons.

The reality is, this behavior is rather typical of young JW behavior when they are away from their authority figures. I think JW induced guilt might have caused the boy to run away, and further investigating will likely implicate the religion more and more because this tragedy appears to be due to JW culture and mindset. It is a culture that creates the unhealthy mix of obsession with sex and guilt.

Path

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

my god, these people keeping getting stranger and stranger...boys wearing underwearing, pics of wizzing...how much longer are they going to be in denial?
    the dustrabbit

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

i wonder where the bra came from...his mom's or what? and makes you wonder how he got a hold of it....

Path: yeah, the guilt thing, i agree. i'm thinkin' that maybe he liked it, but then he realized that maybe the photos might become incriminating for him, he did an about-face.

makes you wonder if maybe one of the other kids did him?

the dustrabbit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit