Have any "HALL CLEANING" funny stories??

by BONEZZ 19 Replies latest jw friends

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I remember our bookstudy groups (in my area) got the chore for a month at a time. The bookstudy was at my home with the P.O. as the conductor. When we attended the other meetings, our BS Group would all run for the vaccuum cleaners, the Windex to clean the glass on the front doors, etc. Nobody would clean the bathrooms...so being the humble and very stupid one that I was, I felt that my son and I should be an example and do the men's room. We would rush in and usually have them cleaned while everyone else was screwing around trying to look busy (& visiting) so they would not have to join us. The P.O. and his wife (also known as "The Queen") never, ever set foot in the bathrooms to clean...they were above it. I finally got sick of doing it and my son could also see everyone else avoiding it so we wound up just going in, slopping the mop around, wiping the sink with some paper towels and getting the hell out. I dunno but maybe because there were so many janitors they just got sick of seeing toilets. You'd think they'd lend their expertise to help out. Please tell me if I have wrong attitude...maybe I'm running ahead of the Org...Gosh I hope not.

-Brother BONEZZ

"When the Truth is found to be lies, you know all the joy within you dies". - Grace Slick

• Angharad
    Angharad

From what I remember there usually was one or two actually working and loads of others wandering around with a duster trying to look like they were doing something.

In our hall they once made an annocement on the Thursday meeting 'We seem to have misplaced one of the KH vacuum cleaners, if someone has taken it home please bring it back'
    I'm not sure if it ever got returned.

Edited by - angharad on 12 June 2002 12:24:57

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Well, there was the time I was doing some work above the ceiling in the KH (don't remember what kind, this was over 30 years ago) and put my foot through the hung ceiling, and several panels and all the poured insulation came spilling all over the seats. This happened about 2 hours before a meeting and we had to get it all cleaned up before the brothers started arriving...

Well I think it's a funny story. Maybe you had to be there.

Tom

"Gentlemen, he said, I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes, I've moved your mountains and marked your cards. But Eden is burning"
    --Bob Dylan

Edited by - NeonMadman on 12 June 2002 12:28:54

Edited by - NeonMadman on 12 June 2002 12:30:12

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I actually wanted to cherry-bomb the commode but could not figure out how to attach a timer to allow my get-away.

-BONEZZ

• SYN
    SYN

Hall Cleaning was FAR from funny for me! It was almost as exciting as the Watchtower Study!

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I just remembered that the only time our hall got really douched was when the Spanish cong cleaned it. They did a very thorough job.

-BONEZZ

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The last time I cleaned Fred Hall:

...and it took a week to get the hair off my tongue!

• waiting
    waiting

The sisters did the vast majority of the cleaning - the brothers puttered and emptied trash. I never wanted to be *that* thorough in the bathrooms. One sister had taught her daughter that the "only clean floor was washed on our hands and knees."

I saw the kid on her knees, and suggested she use the mop next to her. She quoted me her mother's nifty little saying. I responded with Christlike "O for Christ sake - get up and let me mop it." She did.....I think she went and told her mom on me.

One silly sister said it really made her feel bad to see a brother go in and clean the men's bathroom. I looked at her weirdly and asked why? "Because they're above us and shouldn't have to do that type of work." I just turned and walked away - she was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too far gone.

Some sisters have their heads so far down in the toilet, they can't even imagine standing up.

waiting

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Well, I don't know if this one qualifies as funny in itself. Many years ago, we were doing the pre-memorial prep.

This was at the old Perry, GA congregation in the old Kingdom Hall. I will say to the credit of the folks there, that whoever showed up to clean actually did work. So the cleaning was underway, and I and my best friend Arra were trying to help. We got assigned to arrange the chairs. The normal configuration of seating was two full-length rows in back, only offset a little for the microphone control and record player. Yeah, that was back when Kingdom Melodies were on vinyl. In front of that was an aisle maybe a couple of rows across, then the main section of seats. One section on the left and one on the right with a central aisle in between.

It was a really small space and there was only so much you could do. Our instructions were to rearrange all the seats into one group. Make easy work for the attendants passing the emblems. Of course, leave that very last row against the back wall for the persona non grata.

So Arra and I start moving chairs. Then the idea hits me and I get creative. Hey, we're making everything as perfect as we can right? We started out making perfectly straight rows, all evenly spaced. Armrests perfectly aligned, each row spaced an equal distance from the one in front. Not good enough for me and Arra. We both had the same idea. Curve 'em! Make each row an arc so everyone is facing the speaker. That took some time, since I can be very much a perfectionist. Guess that's what draws me to being an alignment tech now. So we started in the center of each row, each working to opposite ends of the row. Angling each chair just a little, trying very hard and acheiving symmetry in our alignments.

When we were done, Arra and I were very proud of the new configuration. Ok, I'm harping on detail here. My folks and his folks thought is was great.

Memorial time. Probably not even a hundred there. As everyone takes their seats, the "change" is not welcome. My family was one of two that moved in to "serve where the need was greater". The "original" (best term I can think of) Perry Congregation members all shifted their chairs and the curved rows disappeared within minutes. My dad and the other "new" elder just shook their heads.

You know, that was a pretty trivial thing to post but looking back I do find it funny now. Funny that people would be so hostile to any change whatsoever that they would move their chairs only an inch or two, but also that at the time that I would actually take it personal and get mad about it.

Oh well.

Let me offset that with a more positive tale.

There was this sister. I cannot for the life of me remember her name. The way my mind works, it will come to me sometime between tomorrow and Saturday so remind me and I'll let you know. Older, in her 50's or 60's. Her husband, I do remember his name. "Ernie" was a stroke victim and couldn't talk. He'd shake your hand, smile, and mumble something you couldn't understand but he was always so sweet and friendly and loved everyone and any attention he was shown. Anyway - Louise I think her name was - this sister. She was always the first person at the Hall on a Sunday morning. When the rest of us arrived, her old green Chevelle (painted green with house paint with paintbrushes by her and my Granny Eleanor) was always there in the parking lot. Ernie was sitting on one of the little benches in the garden by the entrance and she was busy sweeping the walkway outside the Hall. Not trying to score points or show off, she did it because she wanted to. She loved the Hall. Louise and Ernie made all Hall cleanings, Ernie greeted everyone and Louise cleaned. Regardless of what you think of R&F dubs, she and Ernie were two of the gems.

Mike.

Edited by - bendrr on 12 June 2002 21:3:30

• arachnia
    arachnia

This isn't so much a cleaning story as it is a maintenance one, it took place in Rochester, MI congregation in about the mid-80's.

There was some problem prior to the meeting which required one of the elders who was an electrician by trade to investigate up in the ceiling. Because removing a ceiling tile meant opening up to the ductwork, they decided to turn off the AC while he investigated the problem. He stood on a ladder and was peering around up there when a ministerial servant who was kind of a goof decided that the air should be turned on, not realizing the consequences for the elder.

My brother and I were unable to contain our laughter when the elder started screaming, "GEORGE! Turn off the AC!" His hair was standing straight up, being sucked up by the ductwork. George, oblivious to his role in the elder's coiffure dilemma, finally realized he hadn't done the right thing by flipping the switch and turned beet red.

One of many times my dear sibling and I were trapped in a perpetual giggle cycle at the KH. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit