so whats wrong with fathers day?

by annalice 15 Replies latest jw friends

• annalice
    annalice

fathers day is coming up and this will be the first year that i will be getting my dad the card and a gift . I mentioned it to someone and they acted like i was commiting a sin. So what problem do the jw's have with this holiday ? knowone can seem to give me an answer.Is it pagan or something? I really don't care if it is but i think that if you're going to say somthing is bad you should back it up with a reason why.

• Been there
    Been there

I know they don't celebrate mothers or fathers day and it probably stems from putting someone before God. You would think this would be one that they would recognize since the bible tells us to HONOR our mothers and fathers. God is giving his permission to put them in esteem. Doesn't make sense to me but SOMEONE here will have a good WTBS answer. I'm curious too??

KY Been

• Farkel
    Farkel

: so whats wrong with fathers day?

The GB doesn't want anyone honored but themselves.

Farkel

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

Not celebrating Father's Day is just one of the many ways that JWs show that they are "seperate" from the world.

ChiChi

• Gopher
    Gopher

Father's Day has not been specifically addressed in the Society's publications since a 1956 Awake! magazine article. (Unfortunately, the WT Library CD-ROM doesn't contain pre-1960 magazines.)

Here is something from the Live Forever book for your amusement:

*** pe 214 25 For Satan's World, or God's New System? ***
    17 Other holidays of the world honor famous men. Still others honor and exalt nations or worldly organizations. But the Bible warns against giving worshipful honors to humans, or trusting in human organizations to accomplish what only God can do. (Acts 10:25, 26; 12:21-23; Revelation 19:10; Jeremiah 17:5-7) So holidays that tend to exalt a man or a human organization are not in harmony with God’s will, and true Christians will not share in them.—Romans 12:2.

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• neyank
    neyank

I believe Farkel hit the nail on the head.

Seems as tho the GB doesn't want JW's give honor to anyone but themselves.

Think about this.

All the articles in the mags. that mentions the GB or the Faithful Slave gives glory and praise to them.

Don't they?

Don't they expext.....no.... don't they demand unquestionable alegiance to them?????

Have they stated that they are not inspired of God? Yes.

Have they stated that they have made mistakes? Yes.

Do the JW's give honor and glory to the GB? Yes.

It seems to me that the JW's are guilty of idol worship.

They DO worship a group of humans.

Don't they?

They do give the glory and honor that should only be given to God to a bunch of imperfect men.

Don't they?

neyank

• neyank
    neyank

Wait a minute!!!

I didn't answer the quetion. Did I?

The answer is nothing is wrong with fathers day.

Nothing is wrong with mothers day or birthdays either.

There is nothing unbiblical about celebrating any of those days.

neyank

• bonovox
    bonovox

NOTHING!!

Happy fathers day to myself!!! hehehe

• its_my_life2001ca
    its_my_life2001ca

The Bible never said we should celebrate wedding anniversaries and yet I have seen whole congregations get together to celebrate 25th and 50th anniversaries. They say it's okay because marriage was instituted by God. Does the Bible not also say we should honour our fathers and mothers? True we should do it 365 days of the year but it's nice to give them a special day.

• Francois
    Francois

I'm with you guys. Both mothers and fathers should be honored on their special day. I mean after all, God invented mothers and he invented fathers, and he invented f**king, too - which led directly to...ME! Now in my opinion, that's something to celebrate.

Farkel is right, after all.

FT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit