no disfellowship for inactive?

by jaccilynn 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• City Fan
    City Fan

I lied all the way through my judicial committee meetings about how repentant I was so that I wouldn't get disfellowshipped. The elders decided just to reprove me.
    I went to a private reproof meeting then one more meeting at the hall and then never went again.
    I did go to one more assembly but that was for the sake of an ex-girlfriend.

I've been told that by simply not going I've disassociated myself. I never wrote a letter to say this. I also know that I'm on the congregation 'inactive' list.

But I have no problems with JW relatives. I've been out for meals and drinks with JW couples who I've known for years and view as good friends. They have no problems with the fact I've stopped going.

I also have a number of JW ex-friends who would never go for a drink with me now ecause I have stopped going. In my opinion these friends are not worth having. In my experience it all depends on the individual JW. Some don't bother and would rather stay friends. Others seem to think that as soon as you stop going then you are bad association.

As ever with JW rules and regulations there is no consistency.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I know of a recent example where this appears to be the case. I wonder if they have an unofficial new policy in place to turn a blind eye to those who are not involved and inactive. I can't really see the point of disfellowshipping people who are not involved. Rather like expelling a student from school who hasn't attended in a couple of years.

Path

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

I really think the key lies in how much trouble you cause within the congregation. If you don't give them trouble they seem to leave you alone. At least that seems to be what is happening in our case. We did have a shepherding call almost a year ago now where the PO told me that I really couldn't call myself one of 'Jehovah's Witnesses' because I was no longer publishing. And that was whether I went to meetings or not. 'Witness' indicates active involvement with the preaching work. I haven't turned in a service report for almost 4 years - the last time the congregation secretary asked me for one I told him he was asking me to lie and that my conscience wouldn't allow me to do that. (I had stopped going door to door but was still actively speaking about the Bible with co-workers, etc. So he said surely I had some time to report. But I wasn't keeping track of my conversations so I would have had to lie to report.) We have only been shunned by a few. I'm sure we're 'bad association' even tho' we are still moral and honest. And other than association with xJWs (DF'd and DA'd) haven't done anything sinful enough to warrant their judicial attention.

JW Moms like to lay guilt trips - don't buy a ticket! It's not a trip you need to take.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

It varies; here, a woman was just df'ed - she hasn't been seen for some 3 years, but then her name popped up at an electoral list, and a committee was formed and out she went.

Another guy went gay, but nothing was done, since few knew him any more.

My hint: If the congregation changes elders and publishers due to moving etc., and new ones don't know the person in question, he/she no longer is considered a Witness by most of the people in the congregation, and so nothing is done.

What I feel strange, is how people lie or walk quiet or whatever, in order not to be df'ed or do not da themselves, because they want the social touch, but are utterly negative towards the Witness beliefs. Hypocracy, OK (don't know the spelling ....). I far more respect a person who stands up for his meanings, his beliefs. It is far easier for me to speak to a df'ed person with voiced opinions, than to a sneaking guy whom you can clearly see "is only in it for the money".

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

You cannot be disfellowshipped for not going to meetings or being "inactive". Just be smart out being inactive, and all your "loving brothers & sisters" will leave you alone.

• seedy3
    seedy3

I was DF'd about 5 years, If I can remember, after I quit attending meetings and such. Now in my situation, I had left my, now ex, wife and then was getting remarried, I had moved 300 miles away from the congregation, I had no contact with any JW's in any way for over 2 years, outside of my now ex-wife, was not known as a JW by anyone that knew me, nor had I expressed that I even used to be one, except to my new bride and her family. Butttt I got DF'd anyway.

Seedy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit