JW becoming normal religion

by Realist 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

iv'e noticed that too. i really think they do it to get more new publishers. they constantly shift views on a lot of things, especially splitting hairs on the blood issue (now you can use fragments, whatever that is. and the choice is up to their conscience, rather than dictated by the wts. but they still don't smoke and still don't practice oral sex because it's "associated with homosexuality, which is an abomination and unclean". you know what kills me? they are adults yet they act like children. i found these posts in one of their websites, purelanguage.net, in which they were telling each other their "secrets" (copied & pasted here):

----
    My secret is something what isn't secret for You here. Not many know that I am a member of a JW site because so many have prejudice about that, especialy those who don't have a computer.I respect there thinking but as my self concern I know I've been encouraged to be here.
    ---
    I think your secret is great and it's safe with me!!! Is'nt it amazing how many wierd stares and unasked for lectures you get if you mention the internet - it's just the same when you mention country music
    --
    I don't tell very many people here that I'm on a JW board either. For 1, most of them are really weirded out by the internet, and 2, if someone got on the internet because I was doing it... and fell victim to apostate sites I would feel sooooo bad! So, I just don't encourage or discourage the internet to anyone unless I know they are already online and ask me about it.
    ---
    ***********************OH BROTHER*************** [>:(]

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

they spend their whole life worrying about what everyone will think of them, even their fellow witnesses, as illustrated by my previous post. WHO GIVES A CRAP?! more importantly, why do they let an organization dictate their private actions. sickening...

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

It'll happen so slowly that those inside will never notice...Either that or the current or the next scandal will destroy it with lawsuits.

• Flip
    Flip
    ...they say they are from a christian congregation in your area

I was the one that invented that line when going door to door.

I felt announcing that I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses detracted from my presentation of the Watchtower and Awake!.

To stave off uncomfortable silence, I've also used the line when meeting a householder from school or work; I was visiting on behalf of the 'Watchtower Binder & Tractor Society'.

Oh...I also invented the triangle tear in the plastic coffee cup lid that allows you to drink coffee while driving and not spill as much.

Unfortunately I didn't patent the design; otherwise I'd now have as much money as the Borg Corporation.

If the Borg were ‘normal’…they’d lose the advantage of owning a niche market and would eventually have to revert to living off their investment returns and donations.

Wait a second!…that is 'normal'. :)

Flip

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I also invented the yellow smiley face , but lawyer screwed up my trademark application. Because of this I can't get my due $0.001 for each use on the internet and other media.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Yeah...pretty soon they'll do something crazy like recognize the deity of Christ :)"

Oh, let's not get crazy now.. That would be too big a step for them...

Baby steps, baby steps...

Maybe the first step towards "normalization" into the Christian congregation would be to admit that they are NOT above Christ..

In fact, maybe the first step should be that they are not equal to Jehovah..

That's alot of re-org for them:

Currently, they are like this:

WTBTS FDS Class
    |
    Jehovah
    |
    Other Sheep
    |
    Christ
    |
    Animals
    |
    Worldly people & Satan = 1 and the same

Just think how long it will take them to re-org that into something resembling a true Christian belief system

• KJV
    KJV

In Ray Franz's book he mentions that the Society became alot less rigid after WW2. The late forties was a period where the Society left alot of things up to a witnesses conscience, including abortion. In the early fifties the Watchtower started controlling witnesses lives once more, and the Society became stricter and stricter. I believe that things were lax in the late forties because the asshole dictator Rutherford was dead and Nathan Knorr and Fred Franz didn't want to create enemies within the Watchtower by pushing people around like Rutherford did. After Nathan and Fred were comfortable in their new positions, they ruled with an iron fist. All the Society is experiencing now is a power transition and I believe that once again in the future they will rule the dubs with severe strictness.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

KJV, you said that "I believe that once again in the future they will rule the dubs with severe strictness."
    Eh..... excuse me, my friend, but I was under the impression most of the people here, including those of us who are Witnesses in so-called relatively "good standing" have the feeling that NOW is a time severe strictness is used when dealing with the brothers. For my part, if this is supposedly a period of relaxed treatment, I would not like to stick around long wnough to witness what severe strictness is really about .....

• Mum
    Mum

OldHippie: They do rule with great strictness unless you are a pedophile. I would say that they take the path of least resistance in these matters; i.e., they side with the person who has more power and write off the helpless (being an ex-JW female certainly gives me a perspective as to their total contempt for women and children in general). "Loyalty" (of pedophiles!) to the organization is a higher priority than morality and "biblical principles." Image is everything. Their value system is seriously warped/twisted/out of line.

God have mercy on their miserable souls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit