Question On Blood

by Frenchy 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I wouldn't jump the gun yet until there are some confirmations. I would think this appearing on the official website would be unlikely before appearing in either a QFR or a private letter to the Society.

Path

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

It is my understanding - based on a confidential letter (that bears the society's letter head and is from the society) that I received some time ago (and that I will not release) confirming what Marvin stated.

That is, you can, conscience permitting, store your own blood as long as you use it for what the society deems as "fractions". This was effective in 2001 and Maximus, I and of course others have talked about it on the discussion board a few times.

In the past I have urged others and I urge you to write or telephone the society and talk to a member of the Hospital Information Service. They will confirm the above.

hawk

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I have heard that the policy had changed on stored blood, but I'm not absolutely sure about this.

Since the whole thing is so damn confusing, perhaps the best thing would be to just do it and keep your mouth shut about it. If it isn't allowed just yet, it will be allowed soon.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Redhorsewoman,

It is allowed as per my and Marvin's posts. As stated previously I have a confidential letter in my possession (that I will not release) that confirms the storage of blood for fractions use only (conscience permitting).

On a side note I do not understand why AJWRB has not issued a press release on this - but maybe they did and I just didn't notice it.

Please feel free to contact the society.

hawk

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

There is quite a difference between storing one's own blood for possible transfusion at a later date and storing it for permissible blood fractions.

Although storage for use in the form of permissible fractions is presently allowed, I can't see how useful this would be in most cases given the huge volumes of whole blood usually needed.

Being able to store one's own blood for a whole blood transfusion seems like a good option for many undergoing a scheduled surgery. If this is allowed, it would be a big step in the right direction.

Path

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

You are right Path about the "usefulness" of allowing the storage of one's own blood for obtaining components of blood that are allowed by the society.

However, being somewhat involved in "shunned father's" case, I can confirm that you CANNOT use your own whole blood, your red blood cells and platelets to be transfused back into you.

White blood cells can be transfused back into you as long as you call the transfer a peripheral blood stem cell autographing procedure (ie. transplant) and not a white blood cell transfusion (please note appendix 5 in - http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/twins.htm).

hawk

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Before everyone gets excited about the Society's New Light on this subject, please consider that most blood, and it's components, have expiration dates.

It's too complicated to list here, but for example, red blood cells have an expiration date of 42 days. For a planned surgery, storage of blood would be useful. In the case of sudden illness, storage would of ones own blood would be just about worthless. Unless, of course, a witness wanted to donate constantly as to always have a supply of blood "on hand".

Andee

• TheStar
    TheStar

They are not allowing you to store your blood for a whole blood tranfusion but only the fractions. Which is entirely stupid considering they are not going to store your blood for that sole purpose.

Although I'm not sure it's the same one Hawkaw is talking about, there is a similar letter printed in Greg Stafford's new book, "Three dissertations on the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses".

If I can scan it this weekend I will post it here.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

That would be great Star.

I would like to post this letter I have but I was told NO when I recieved this letter back in early 1991 and have not heard anything further.

No matter what - its so sad that little children needlessly die because they cannot have a life saving blood transfusion. And then they are proudly displayed in Watchtower material as shown on the cover of the May 22, 1994 Awake! magazine.

hawk

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Thank you all for your comments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit