The friends, the truth and loaded language

by detective 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn
    What other loaded language can you come up with that is quasi-specific to Jehovah's Witnesses?

Too funny....I was just thinking about these yesterday - here's some more that are specific to JW's or have a different meaning to a JW.

(1) the world
    (2) clergy (bad word in JW terms)
    (3) mother (used to reference the organization)

and a few you'll never hear in a JW teaching:

(1) rapture
    (2) grace

• detective
    detective

Here's one that I noticed is used quite a bit: "brought out" instead of brought up a point.

Brought out is used outside the group, obviously, but I'd say I hear brought up far more often.

Nothing wrong with it but I definitely found it very noticeable at first.

• Dawn
    Dawn

While we're at it....what use was the "written review" - did anyone learn anything anyways??? Ok - so I'm rambling now

• writerpen
    writerpen
    “Without spot” will mean that I’m just missing my dog!

LOL

• Matty
    Matty

Thank you writerpen. And I didn’t mention, “The wild beast will turn on the harlot culminating in the grand climax”. Which as far as I'm concerned now means the worlds political systems going against religion, which will end with armageddon, but to some this would sound like something quite different...

• SYN
    SYN

Hehe, good one Matty!

This is the only site where I can use those cherished old phrases, like "BITT", "Brother & Sister", "BORGlyn", and of course, "BOrganization"! That's why it rocks!

• Dawn
    Dawn

Matty - thanks for the laugh. Oh man.......that is tooooo funny!!!

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

"Widen out" refering to association with the brothers, always hated that term.

Free

Oops, I meant the congregation members, not the "brothers."

• Bang
    Bang

From an outsider's perspective - there are a few words that really grate on me.

'jehovah' - it's not really God's name

'spirituality' - jws confuse the meaning with morality

'fine' - it really means finished, ended

'worship' - they confuse the meaning with homage

'ransom sacrifice' - sounds like God's the one looking for payment

'jealous' - confused with envy

'envy' - confused with covet

It goes on and on. The confused meaning of words propagated by them really gets under my nose sometimes. It's a method of teaching and conveying understanding that's not even present.

Aside from the confusion of meaning, they make a point of talking very sweet and sugar coated so people will swallow the nasty tasting stuff easier. It's a lie that they talk fine at all, with all that new light coming up. Maybe new light should be called renovations.

I reckon that jwism would be hard pressed to infiltrate the British upper class because they'd reject the language itself, aside from the religion.

Bang

• bay64me
    bay64me

It always used to grate on me when in prayers, a certain elder would ask that we would be forgiven our wrongdoings and shortcomings!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit