The Bible Does Not Condemn Witchcraft

by Sirona 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi All,

The JWs are against anything remotely pagan and they're certainly against witchcraft. Why? They say the bible condemns it. Scriptures such as Exodus 22:v18 "You must not preserve a sorceress alive" (NWT) or as the King James Version says "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"

Consider:

In the original Hebrew manuscript, the author used the word m'khashepah to describe the person who should be killed. The word means a woman who uses spoken spells to harm others - e.g. causing their death or loss of property. Clearly "evil sorceress" or "woman who does evil magic" would be the most accurate phrases in current common English usage for this verse.
    (Taken from http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_bibl.htm) Emphasis Added
    The bible characteristically says it is only women who practice this. Moreover, it condemns magic used to HARM people, not magic in general.

If any JWs or bible believers would like to give a counter argument, please do.

Sirona

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Since you are a woman, since you are obviously trying to hurt me, and since you are diabolically trying to twist the meaning of the beautiful word which is in everyday use, m'khashepah, you deserve nothing but what the Bible text calls upon you.

• JT
    JT

it is so amazing how in my view if anyone would have issues with the bible it would be women, yet by far more women go to church than men do.

yet the very book that christian faiths follow are always dogging and giving women the shaft.

i just don't understand it

• Sirona
    Sirona

Oldhippie, you are so funny!

JT - I think you missed my point. I was really commenting on the Witchcraft thing. You make a good point about women being the ones who go to church more, despite the things the bible says about women.

I'm surprised no christians have commented on this, I'm forever being told that the bible is right and other beliefs are wrong.

Sirona

• gumby
    gumby

Sirona: 'Uncle Arthur' was a witch and he was male!

I think the reason the bible condems witchcraft is because the types of things witches do.....eg; kidnapping little dogs and scarecrows by flying monkeys!!!!....how awful!

• SYN
    SYN

No Christians will comment on this because there is nothing more to SAY! They are flabbergasted!

• Xander
    Xander

Ah, Christians won't comment because they hate everyone else, anyway...

at all the freshly offended Christians out there....

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Xander
    Xander

And, while I'm there, new quiz!!

1. Which of the following is apparently not a sin?
    A. Showing disrespect to your parents.
    B. Cursing your parents.
    C. Hitting your parents.
    D. None of the above. All three are sins.

2. Which of the following professionals does God despise?
    A. Musician.
    B. Craftsman.
    C. Seamstress.
    D. All of the above.

3. Which of the following acts of violence is a sin?
    A. Driving a nail through the head of a guest you don’t like.
    B. Killing handicapped people you don’t like.
    C. Torturing and killing animals to punish people you don’t like.
    D. Trick question. These acts are praiseworthy, not sinful.

4. Being intimate with which of the following women is a sin?
    A. Your wife’s handmaiden.
    B. A menstruating woman.
    C. A harlot.
    D. All of the above.

5. Which of the following marital practices is a sin?
    A. Buying a wife.
    B. Abandoning your family.
    C. Marrying a divorced woman.
    D. A and B only.

6. Which of the following grooming practices is a sin?
    A. Not bathing.
    B. Not dressing properly for a wedding.
    C. Wearing God’s favorite perfume.
    D. All of the above.

7. Which of the following levels of disrobing by a man of God is NOT a sin?
    A. Wearing no hat.
    B. Wearing torn clothing.
    C. Walking stark naked throughout the land to impress people.
    D. A and B.

Answers:

1. a
    2. d
    3. d
    4. b
    5. c
    6. d
    7. c

( http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0602/answers.html for an explanation)

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• RWC
    RWC

To the extent that witchcraft or pagan religions believe that there is more than one God or that there is no God as described in the Bible, the Bible would obviously be against it as a vaild religion. To the extent that witchcraft calls upon spirits or spells that are intended to invokve the power of anyone other than Jesus, God or the Holy Spirit, the Bible would obviously be against it.

So with this in mind, can you believe in witchcraft or a pagan religion and still not be ccondemed by the Bible?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

There is no God, so we don't have to worry aboutit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit