Found this on their official website

by SpiceItUp 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

SpiceItUp: You asked:

Hmmmm....If most children don't lie about the abuse why the need for two witnesses.

Looking at it from that angle, that's a reasonable question. We know that the elders have enforced the "two witness" rule in cases of abuse, yet Mr.Brumley, Councel for the JWs, says on the WTS official website, that our assertion of the two witness requirement "just isn't true".

He says:

"Now in addition to seeing to it that the victim is protected, the elders will meet with the accused and find out what he or she has to say about the situation. In those cases, they also contact our headquarters to receive any recommendations or advice that we may have. Where even one allegation is made of child molestation, steps are taken to see to it that the authorities are also involved."
    He says that perhaps our criticism stems from what they do interally or judicially.
    "If an allegation is raised against a certain individual, elders will meet with that individual to see if he wishes to confess or see if he wishes to seek the help of the elders in any way. If two separate witnesses raise an accusation against an individual, and if it is found that the practice is going on and he is unrepentant, then the individual is dismissed, or disfellowshipped, excommunicated, from the congregation."
    And again he states that they do take legal steps even if there is only one witness or accuser:

The difference then lies in what we do with regard to legal requirements and protecting the victim. Those steps are taken even if only one individual raises an allegation of child molestation. On a separate matter, disciplinary steps are taken if two witnesses raise an accusation against an individual suspected of being a child abuser.

So there we have if folks...straight from the official "Councel for JWs" on their official website: 2 witnesses are required to df an unrepentant, accused sinner, and only 1 accuser required to inform the authorities of an abuse crime.

I've asked this question here before. Where in their publications and instructions to the elders in the previous years up to now, did it say that "Where even one allegation is made of child molestation, steps are taken to see to it that the authorities are also involved" and that the 2 witness requirement is only for internal needs for disfellowshipping to take place?

If this policy has been in place all along, then why don't the elders know about it and why do we have so many abuse cases that were not reported to authories because they didn't have 2 witnesses?

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Had Enough - Very good points.

I think that they need to show some proof that thats how things are done. I mean we have all the proof we need that they are not following through - where's the evidence that they are.

If we look at it like a courtroom where we are the plaintifs and they are the defendents. We have already established our burden of proof. now they need proof to defend themselves not just a bunch of old guys saying "thats not true". Give me a break.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Then again ----- What do I know, IM JUST AN APOSTATE!

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

this topic just gets me stirred up.

All I am going to say is this.....in my eyes those that know abuse is going on and are not doing doing anything about it is just as guilty as those doing the abusing.

Is it too much to expect that our children are safe-and that would be in no matter what religon. I send my children to school and expect that their teacher(s) are not pedofiles. I expect to know when their is a sexual preditor in my neighborhood. You can damn well know that if I ever found out that someone knew and put my children at risk they would have the wrath of this mother to contend with!

~Christy

You know when healing's occurred when you can remember when you want to and forget when you choose.-Bessel van der Kolk

• scootergirl
    scootergirl
    The vast majority of JW's feel safe in their brotherhood.

...that is more than likely because they don't know what is going on!

~Christy

You know when healing's occurred when you can remember when you want to and forget when you choose.-Bessel van der Kolk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit