Spiritual Chess - A Short Story

by DT 13 Replies latest social humour

• DT
    DT
    I wrote a short story about what might happen if a Jehovah's Witness and an apostate decided to play a game of chess.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Playing chess? That was frowned upon growing up!

And with an apostate?!?

:)

• Giordano
    Giordano

DT nicely written. I was smiling as I read it.

I am a serious chess player, don't confuse that with being a really good chess player....... and play in our local Library every week. There is a really nice older JW in town who is friendly and we kid one another...he enjoys trying to distract me when I'm playing. Time for some payback. You've got me thinking about getting him to play a game and referencing the pieces as you mentioned and out of respect for his religious beliefs insisting, that he needs to remove his bishops while I in turn will remove my rooks (because they look like the watchtower) and so forth until our board is almost empty and impossible to play a legitimate game.

Thanks again for the story!

• millie210
    millie210
    Giordano8 minutes agoDT nicely written. I was smiling as I read it.
    I am a serious chess player, don't confuse that with being a really good chess player....... and play in our local Library every week.

I like your humility and intelligence. What a classy blend!

You are such a treasure to the forum Giordano.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I would have thought the JW would have removed his King too since it has a cross on top.
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Giordano , would you care to play a correspondence game via PM? You can have white.
  • Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    Ha! Very clever! Nice work, very enjoyable read. Love the analogies.
  • DT
    DT
    Thank you for your comments.

It looks like this thread might have prompted a real game of chess. That's kind of cool.

I remember playing chess when I was in the organization. Some witnesses were okay with it, but others liked to criticize it. They would sometimes point to an old article that was decades old to justify their views.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I remember playing chess when I was in the organization. Some witnesses were okay with it, but others liked to criticize it.

Our Cong had a Local Needs Talk about it and other games that "taught/supported warfare" and thus violated Bible principles.

Doc

• Giordano
    Giordano

Two thank yous: to Millie for her kind words and Thank you for the invitation dropeoffyourkeylee. Unfortunately I can not master the patience to play by mail. However I will extend an open invitation to join us anytime you are in the area (Lexington Virginia). Our chess group meets at the library Tuesday afternoons. Plus you have an open invitation to visit at my home where we will play us a game.

I will caution you that our informal group is the only Chess club in the USA, to my knowledge, to be tossed out of the Library for rowdyism. We were innocent of course.

It took us a full year to get reinstated....fortunately I have had a lot of experience in reinstatement's as a former JW.

As to another point mentioned by D of C......... the confusion about chess by the Society:

"taught/supported warfare"

Actually Chess simply allows one to learn how to think strategically...........which of course is a staple of the Society's business model. However while adept at that part of their game the WT has never mastered the other great chess lesson ......beware of unexpected consequences!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit