Dubs don`t like to Tip

by OUTLAW 25 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A post made by AlanF just made me remember about going to restaraunts with Dubs.For the most part they don`t like to tip.My parents and the dubs they went out with were not poor people.My mom would have a fit if she saw my dad tip.Most Dubs I knew were the same way.Did the dubs you were around,like to tip?...OUTLAW

• Gopher
    Gopher

Some did, others tried to get by "on the sly" without tipping. (Did your mom forget the Golden Rule -- I mean, what if she had to support herself by waitressing? I'm sure she would have accepted tips!!)

OK, here's a joke:

What's the difference between a JW and a canoe?

Answer: A canoe can tip!

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• lovsinner
    lovsinner

I had attended a profesional convention once. They brought out that the JW's were the "cheapest" when they went to their conventions according to some survey. Worldlys (sp?) are going to die anyway, they don't need the extra money! lmao

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Funny you should mention this. Here is an excerpt from my book:

The literature tip - A commonly used technique during Watchtower conventions is "the literature tip". Occasionally, when JW's are attending a convention or other function, a group of them will eat in a restaurant together. And, when you get this much brain power in one place, it is only a matter of time before someone will come up with the idea of leaving a book or a pair of magazines for the waitress, instead of a tip. Their reasoning is: The message of eternal life is far more valuable than money. This has given rise to a proverb of the food industry: "When Jehovah's Witnesses come to town, they bring the ten commandments and a ten dollar bill - and they don't break either one."

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Gopher,if the shoe was on the other foot,she would have wanted her tips.She never had to do anything like waitress,she`s a bit spoiled that way.So she dosen`t understand that people depend on their tips to make ends meet.Besides that the people who are serving her are worldly,so screw them.She might be better now,I haven`t seen her in years...OUTLAW

• Scully
    Scully

Overheard recently at a Tim Horton's coffee shop:

No, Billy, don't you dare put your pocket change in that cup! I was very clear when I said that money was for the Contribution Box!

Train up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it. - Prov. 22:6 (NWT)
    Do we all see the connection??

Love, Scully

• Xander
    Xander

Well, maybe my experiences were different, but all the JW families I knew were too poor to tip regularly, so they never got in the habit (IE., they don't eat out at all if they aren't away at a convention).

It occurred to me recently, even the 'wealthy' JW families (those that owned nurseries in our area) were lower-middle class at best. It's funny to think about, but my wife and I have more disposable income (and me at 23!) than any family I knew growing up in 3 different congregations.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Valis
    Valis

In Dallas there was a brother who ran what you could call a diner/greasy spoon. We would always go there after service and eat. His daughters, also the waitresses were all cute Hispanic sisters and yummmmmeee...They always got good tips! So yummy in fact a long time MS tipped one of them so well she got pregnant and became his wife after they ran off together....his wife went crazy, the one he left that is... but at least doing business with JWs gets you somewhere....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• thewiz
    thewiz

There was a story I read in the paper about about someone sueing an Asian restraunter for racism, because he added a gratuity ONLY to black people's bill.

The reason given by the asian restuarant owner? He adds the gratuity to black people's bill because they don't tip.

I've also heard the stereotype played up by black stand-up comedians and sitcoms.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Xander,you make a good point.There are dubs with familys just struggling to get by.I meant no disrepect to them.God bless them when they have the opportunity to take their family out...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit