What's Your Pet Peeve?

by DB 45 Replies latest jw friends

• DB
    DB

Of course, the WTS is pretty much a pet peeve of almost everyone here. But besides that, what's your pet peeve? I'm in a playful mood today, so here's mine, with some tongue-in-cheekiness, of course:

My top peeve right now is outgoing (or, greeting) messages left on the voice mail system at my place of work by some employees. Some go like this, almost verbatim:

"You have reached _______. I am either away from my desk, or on another line. After the tone, please leave a detailed message, along with the best time for me to call you back. If you need to speak with someone immediately, please call ________ (operator, or another extension). Thank you, and have a good day.

My problem with such a message is that, when I am even the least bit busy, I really do not need to hear all this. Plus, such outgoing messages are spoken very deliberately, so they seem to take forever.

I really don't need to hear if someone is at their desk or on another line. If I've gotten their voice mail instead of them, isn't that rather obvious?

As for the time to call back (we got that valuable tip in training seminars some time ago), if I give them a time, then that now implies that I must be there at that time, waiting for their call. Fat chance, given the nature of my job.

As for speaking with someone immediately, well, I was kind of hoping to, that's why I called them in the first place. With my luck, I'd call the other extension and have to listen to the same thing all over again.

Here's the message people hear when they call my office:

"You have reached _______ (office name). At the sound of the tone, please leave a message".

Nice, simple, quick.

Again, I'm just in a silly mood, blowing off a bit of steam, playing around. But, I'd like to hear what your pet peeve might be.

Have a great day!

"Without compassion, there can be no end to hate" - Billy Joel

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

My pet peeve is driving behind a smoker on a nice, summer day.

You are trying to enjoy the fresh air and then some bozo in front of you is flicking their ashes out of their window and the wind current pulls the ash and smoke in/on/around your car.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

My pet peeve is people asking inane questions such as "What's your pet peeve.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

My pet peeve is with people who have pet peeve's about being asked what their pet peeve is [8>]

• Amazing
    Amazing

Here is my normal work message and the (reasons) I state what I do:

1. Hi, this is Jim Whitney. (Sometimes people like to know that got to the right place.)

2. Your call is very important to me. (Want them to know I value their taking time to call me, and they have my attention.)

3. Please leave your name, number, and a message of any length. (Many people fail to say who they are or forget to leave their number ... and I figure the length of message is up to them, but at least they know that my machine will not cut them off in the middle of an important message.

4. I will return your call as soon as possible. Thank you. (This lets them know that until they hear from me, I could not get back to them any sooner, but I am not jerking around either.)

My other pet peeve is when people call and then ask me, "Who's this?" ... I figure that they should know who they want and the onus is on them ... so I ask, whom are you looking for and who are you? This normally disarms them and they realize what they did ... some still insist knowing who I am first ... and I tell them ... "I am the person whom you called and were speaking to until now." Then I hang up.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey DB,I just phoned the pet store.The lady said theres no such thing as a peeve...OUTLAW

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Mister Biggs,

Since my work involves a LOT of driving, I'd like to say that one of my pet peeves is people that drive close enough behind me that my smoke would bother them.

Jrig

• Scully
    Scully

My pet peeve is when people drive (hover, to be precise) in your blind spot - keeping at the same speed, completely oblivious to the fact that you are trying to get the hell away from them.

It happened to me TWICE this morning as I was driving home from work. It's not a nice thing to do to a sleep-deprived nurse who's just coming off a 12 hour night shift.

Love, Scully

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Hearing someone eat.. even worse seeing them chew with their mouth
    wide open. Just can't stand smackin'!!!!! It just grates up my spine.

• jst_me
    jst_me

mine is talking to people in normal situations (work, dr office, restaurants) and people from out of the blue saying, WOW ARE YOU FROM THE SOUTH I LOVE YOUR ACCENT

particuarly weird when you are disrobed for your physical and the dr assistant, who has been asking medical questions, decides to say that.

silly yankees

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit