Help or advise wanted

by JG 32 Replies latest jw friends

• FRUSR8TD
    FRUSR8TD

Hi JG...

I am in almost the exact same situation. I am also a non-believing husband and my wife (since 9-11) decided to go back to the kingdom hall. We have been married 7 years and she had left the first time before we met. we now have 3 children and I know the fights you are most likely haveing right now. I tried for 3 months to show her every thing I could to prove the JW's were a cult and false prophets. The result was pushing her further in. I have decided to simply love her and let god do his thing. As far as the kids go however...if you don't want them to go (strongly advised that you don't) then simply say so. She might not like it but have her ask her elders about it. That's what I did and they backed me up. If I said no they were not to go then...they did not go...as a matter of fact she can not study with them either...I don't know if this is what elders in other places will say but if you need more info, drop me a line via. e-mail.

• JG
    JG

Outnfree Thank you, So my question to you is did you make it or did you divorce? I would like to hear your story. Can I contact you via E-Mail?

Frusr8ted It would be nice to talk with you, I am going to be getting a different E-Mail addy so that kathy can't read my mail. as soon as I get that up and operational I'll shoot you a line.

To all, I appreciate all of your kind words and stories, it is such a relief to talk with anyone. Currently the only people I am talking to are you guys and my mom in law. (If I talk to my family I am telling them our marriage is in trouble and crying about the CULT and blah blah blah repeat ad nauseum.)

Love in Christ
    Sean

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

Hello JG,

I too am the unbelieving husband of a woman who returned to the Witnesses after a lengthy absence, and who did so after we were married. I was raised Catholic, but don’t believe in organized religion. My religious leanings tend more towards Eastern thought, i.e. Zen and Taoism where one’s behavior – how one relates to his fellow man and the world at large – is more important than what one believes.

Obviously, my wife and I have hugely different views of the world. This, of course, causes conflict in our marriage. The Witness view of the world and their role in it doesn’t leave much room for compromise.

Luckily, in my case my wife and I had discussed some of these issues prior to marriage, prior to having children and prior to my wife returning to the Watchtower organization. We agreed to not indoctrinate our children into any belief system, but rather to let them make their own choices.

Now that my wife has returned, she wants to bring our child to meetings. I however have put my foot down and hold my wife to our agreement. She sometimes pushes the issue, but for me, it’s non-negotiable.

Like others have already pointed out, the most important thing you can do is prevent your wife from indoctrinating your children. You should try to do this in the least confrontational manner possible.

I’ve made the mistake all too often of trying to use my knowledge of all the looney stuff the Watchtower has proclaimed as a weapon in arguments with my wife. This has served no purpose other than to add fuel to the fire, so to speak. It has done nothing to release the grip the Watchtower organization has on my wife. It hasn’t improved our relationship one iota.

You don’t say what provoked your wife’s return. It’s quite common for former Witnesses and former members of high-control groups to return after having experienced some crisis or difficulty in their lives. This is what prompted my wife’s return. Possibly, that is what occurred in your case. Your wife may need therapy to deal in a more healthy manner with the issue that caused her to return to the Witnesses.

Best of luck,

CPiolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit