Life is a funny ol' thang

by safe4kids 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

Dana, you're an excellent writer! Well done and good for you! Good for Laney too.

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Thanks (((Doug))) The check's on its way

Dana

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Dana)))))

That's awesome that you enjoy seeing your daughter experience those things. I was an AVID bookworm myself. Funny I remember my parents censoring every tv show, music tape, phone call I even encountered, but they never censored my books. They were proud of the fact that I read at such high levels every year. Little did they know I was reading stuff like The Chronicles of Narnia (now labeled apostate material) and horror books like Amityville Horror. Haha!

I know I am excited about becoming a mom because I KNOW I will be a great mom. With my experiences growing up, I know what NOT to do!

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

((((((Dana))))) That was beautiful, and I am sure Delaney will thank you for years to come.

The simple things in life mean the most in the long run.

Boozy

• outnfree
    outnfree

Dana,

I just spent about 20 minutes wandering down memory lane and being astounded at how much I remember from MY one and only childhood camp experience -- also all about horses -- and then, POOF! I hit a wrong key and it all disappeared!

So, suffice it to say that when Delaney grows up to be an old bat like me, she will fondly remember all the good (and not so good -- bugs, bad food, stinky johns, etc.) things that she experienced this week thanks to you and her Dad.

Horse manure smells so GOOD!!!!!!!!!

I am SO proud of you for taking that deep breath and letting her go!

outnfree

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift

• outnfree
    outnfree

Boozy:

and I am sure Delaney will thank you for years to come.

No, she won't.

But she WILL remember!!!

outnfree

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Dana,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience. It warmed my heart.

I know for myself, giving my children a more normal life than I had has been very healing for myself.

I remember the my daughters 7th birthday "party". I'm not very good at planning such things and did my best to put something together for her. Her birthday is at the end of August, and where we live it's extremely hot and usually very humid that time of year and many families are out of town.

Anyway, my Mom got her a decorated cake and there were plenty of presents. There was just Me, hubby, her brother, my Mother and Step-father plus a few kids from the neighborhood. We all sang happy birthday to her and the look she had on her face was priceless.

She opened her presents and we all gorged ourselves with cake and icecream. It was very simple and no frills. I felt like I had let her down. Some parties kids have nowadays can be downright extravagant. Later, after everyone left, and I was cleaning up, she came up and hugged me. Quietly, she told me "Mom, I loved my party".

When I told my Mom about it the next day, I broke down crying. I was overwhelmed with emotions at being able to give something to my daughter that I had always desired so much as a child, but never got because it was suppose to mean my doom at Armageddon.

On another happier note. I was also a horse crazy kid. I got my first when I was 7. Eventually, I got a showhorse when I was 10. A beautiful Mahogany Bay Quarter Horse gelding. I spent many days mucking and raking because I lived on a horse ranch for a period of time. My weekends were usually spent at horse shows. It was fun, but also alot of work!

Also sounds like you and your Ex-spouse have your heads on straight when it comes to the raising of your kids. Good for you!

Andee

• neyank
    neyank

It's good that she's able to go to camp.
    She'll have some fond memories of it.

To go along with this subject, I could never understand why JW kids were never aloud to be kids.

Could not do sports.
    Could not go to camp.
    Could not have friends outside of the JW's.
    Could not or should I say, are not allowed to enjoy this life as a child.

There was a little girl in the KH that I attended.
    Everyone always complimented her parents on how well she did out in service, did on the stage.

She always carried herself like a little business woman.
    She dressed the part too.

Although her parents were good parents, always trying to do their best for her, they did not give her the most important thing someone her age needs, and that is a childhood.

You know, fun and games.
    Being carefree and just acting silly.

I could never understand the WTS view that a child should not act like a child, but should act like a little adult.

neyank

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

(((Andi))) I know you'll be a great mom too! Ooooh, I LOVED the Narnia series, read them as a child and again as an adult. Our reading was never really censored, either, and some of my fondest childhood memories are of the regular trips we took to the secondhand bookstore. To this day, the smell of old books catapults me back in time; they smell like old friends. Er...well, you know what I mean!

(((Boozy))) Thank you, and I hope she does! I haven't heard anything so I'm assuming all is well with her. The camp counselors promised that they'd call if any of the kids got too homesick

(((OUT!))) LOL, horses smell good, even manure isn't bad, it's the pee smell I detest! Please remember your experience at camp, I would love to hear it!!! As for Delaney "remembering"...

(((Andee))) I can relate to that whole birthday party scene...I'm not very good at them either but my friends have been a great help and so far, no complaints from the kids. Thanks for sharing that memory with us!

neyank I don't get it either. I had a curious mixture as a kid because I was allowed to play with "worldly" kids in my neighborhood but that's as far as it went. All it really did tho was make even more clear the incredible gulf that separates witness kids from regular kids. Sad.

Dana

• think41self
    think41self

Beautifully stated Dana

When you get your degree, maybe you should write that book on how to have a happy divorce. It's amazing what you and the kids Dad have been able to accomplish simply by putting the kids best interests ahead of your own. You both should be proud of that.

I hope my Laney girl has a wonderful time. If we all go see ISP and his family this weekend, she can regale all of us with stories of camp. I can't wait.

think41self

This side of Eden, whether we realize it or not, we feel the stain on our souls, and at every opportunity, we try to scrub it away with steel-wool guilt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit