Blood Transfusions - "One Shot Deal"

by Dutchie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I've just been reading the watchtower's blood policy and I think I've got it. I'm not sure but this is what it may come down to:

The WTBTSs give you a "one shot" deal.

If you accept a blood transfusion once and express sorrow and regret, you're forgiven and can remain in good standing. After all, how many blood transfusions do you think an individual will have in a lifetime?

Actually, I have to applaud good PR. This is their PR working at its best. You can have your whole blood transfusion, remain in the organization and the WTBTS can still claim that blood is not allowed.

Of course, the whole concept is written so ambiguously that it is hard to grasp that a whole blood transfusion is good for one time only, without incurring consequences.

Of course, because they still profess that no blood transfusions are allowed those sincere minded members will still forego their lives and the lives of their family members in their attempt to "buy" everlasting life. These are the folks who will only hear "no blood" and will not take advantage of their "one shot" deal.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

I would have no problem accepting blood at this point in time. I don't care if they'd DF me or not.
    I don't agree with their policy on this issue.
    Thanks for bringing this out, though, Dutchie.
    It'll be interesting to see how this continues to unfold!

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

omg!!!!..... mr biggs!!!!

i am stopping the fight........ go to your corner.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Enlightened people like us can think this through and see the position for what it is.

When you are in the bosom of the cong, and subject to the thinking of the order, it is only possible to think this way;-
    "The Organisation knows best. I believe that Jehovah will be hurt and angry with me should I take blood. I will not get everlasting life.
    Eternal benefits, or tempory life in this system? I chose for eternity , and since I love God - I want to do his will"

There is no rationalisation, no working out of self interest.I also find that any dub I know still believes that any blood product is sure to give them Aids, Hepatitus, or something equally nasty.
    When that is all you know it is no surprise they will act as they do, as we would once have done.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Dutchie, just a thought for you.

In most cases of blood transfusions, it is not one unit of blood that is transfused, especially if you are dealing with whole blood. So, are you forgiven for one transfusion and not for the rest that may be needed?

If you have a chronic condition and need further transfusions, i.e. hemmophillia, cancer treatment, etc. then you are just kicked out while you are struggling to live.

I just think it is a sad policy to begin with, telling people how to make life and death decisions on information they have no knowledge about or will suffer the consequences for those decisions.

j2bf

ps mrbiggs, that guy looks like he has a unit of blood in his forehead, YIKES! (lol, where do you get your pics?)

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Sorry for taking away from the thread.
    Not my intention.
    The pic is that of the guy Holyfield fought on Saturday night.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Thanks Joy. Yes, the WTBTS's blood policy is dispicable isn't it?

Mr. Biggs: Is that the guy after the fight? Wow. It looks like he grew another head.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

If your analyzing the WTS policy with respect to judicial action and
    the cessation of disfellowshiping over the blood issue, I believe the
    motivation on their part is along the following lines:

1. Reduce tension between the WTS and some of the European governments.
    2. Reduce the potential for liability (risk management)
    3. Pave the way for further modifications to the policy
    4. P.R. "We haven't DF anyone for taking a blood transfusion in ____ years.
    We provide pastoral care for those who have followed a course that is not
    in harmony with God's word but some by their actions make it clear that they
    no longer want to be associated with the organization, blah, blah, blah.

You can find more detail and analysis on the ajwrb web site at:

http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/breaking.shtml

Lee

• DB
    DB

Biggsy, I appreciated the Rahman photo, since I have read about the fight but saw no pics. The descriptions were no exagerration, that's for sure. Maybe Evander Holyfield has a little life left in him after all.

"Without compassion, there can be no end to hate" - Billy Joel "2000 Years"

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Hi.

I've just read the book of Acts. First time ever really, and I did it without having some old guys in Brooklyn tell me what it means, it speaks for itself.

Although the NWT says "from blood" I noticed other translations say "taste blood" etc. Although I imagine your average dub would say "well they (the translator) got it wrong" it's still interesting. The context would fit the Jewish food requirements at the time as it mentions things strangled and things sacrificed to idols (usually food I'd imagine).

I had a small talk to my mum about this amoungst other things. I was surprised how much she knew generally, she doesn't talk about what she believes much.

I might post some other things we spoke about in a new thread.

Ignored One, (Iggy).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit