WT cultural imperialism?

by expatbrit 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Grunt
    Grunt

What a pleasure to find so many who appreciate the same literature! Yes, I have read all of the Sharpe's this and that books and really enjoyed them, though not if read too close together. I thought I'd found another Forester when I found Alexander Kent, but Bolitho (sorry ex-pat) just got too weepy for me in the later novels. I love the Aubrey/Maturin combination, kind of neat to do the spy thing way back then. Still, my favorite remains Bush and Hornblower, I got lost in those novels though they did have the effect of poisoning my mind a little what with his sterotyping of the Frogs, I mean French, and the Spanish. I have even found myself Hahumphing like Hornblower now and then when at a loss for words or wanting to correct someone without saying the words. I was under cultural attack I guess and didn't know it. I have shared those stories with many, many people and helped a few others to become fans.
    DannyBear, Nope, I am not Semper Fi, I was just a grunt in the Third Battalion, Third Marines, I think he was a communincations guy (though all Marines are riflemen(grunts)first).
    Thanks to those who accepted my apology for the Cult of The Leaning Tower. Thanks even more to those who said my apology was not needed, there are villians in all cultures.
    I didn't know the WT was pushing "sensitive men" that was not the thrust when I was in, but it has been a while. Funny that they could print a magazine showing all those poor children whom they allowed to die for naught, and then promote sensitivity. Well, the Japanese of WWII, who ran some of the worst POW camps of the war, who kidnapped women and made them army whores, who slaughtered uncounted numbers of Chinese and who commited the Rape of Nanking, thought of themselves as cultured gentlemen too.
    To return to the subject, I think anything from any democratic western nation probably had a strong pull for those emerging from communism. I am so sad for those who confused blue jeans, rock n' roll and democracy with the Tower, just because of the home address. Thinking people will soon see the difference and hopefully flee the new spritiual tryanny being imposed on them by the Borg. As says a state motto here in the U.S., I say, "Live Free or Die." Of course I may have been influenced in that attitude by Lord Greystroke's uncompromising courage (an American author's British hero) or maybe the Charge of the Light Brigade. This thread has caused me to think carefully about the sources of some of my attitudes. Alabama as I grew up had some of the "God is an Englishman, White Man's Burden" kind of outlook. I am glad we moved beyond that, I will be even happier when we move beyond large controlling cults like the one known as Jehovah's Witnesses, no matter where they are from.

• Xandit
    Xandit

If you guys like a little more 'earthy' anti-hero type you might try Dewey Lambdin's books about an Alan Lewrie, a naval officer of the same period. Very corruptible ) Not Flashman but getting in that direction.

Edited by - Xandit on 26 February 2001 23:32:56

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit