WT cultural imperialism?

by expatbrit 21 Replies latest jw friends

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Fear not, O non-American apostate-type peoples. Most Americans have very little culture; however, we like to share....and DAMN IT....YOU WILL APPRECIATE IT!!!

• Xandit
    Xandit

Well Grunt you found something we can agree on, I'm a big time Hornblower fan. I have to admit though that Richard Sharpe is giving him a run for his money at the moment. I met some Napoleanic re-enactors in London, outside Wellington's house, a few months ago. They were going to be participating in new Hornblower programs towards the end of 2000. I dont' know how long it will take for them to show up on PBS. What do you thing of Aubrey and Maturin?

With regard to the cultural imperialism thing, I've seen quite a bit of it. There's a surprising amount of resentment about it in some countries, particularly the UK. Of course I've seen Brits do the same thing in other countries.

About beards. This whole deal really runs back to the time of Rutherford. When he took over, a certain number of Bethelites grew beards in protest, ala' Russell. Almost no one knows about the original reason, it's just become a tradition. Ever since that time beards have been virtually verboten though I am seeing that crack in a few more places now, especially outside the US but a few places within the States have become more tolerant, of course the CO tends to go balistic when he comes around.

Edited by - Xandit on 25 February 2001 23:37:4

• Prisca
    Prisca
    As an American, I offer my sincere apologies to the world at large for the cult known as Jehovah's Witnesses which plays on the popularity of the "worldly" American Culture to push its own agenda.

As an Australian (ignore what it says on my profile!), thank you Grunt!

Aussies have a natural disrespect for "tall poppies" (well-known people in authority) and when those tall poppies happen to come from America, woe betide them! It has oft been commented on regarding the Americanism in the Society's publications and it does tend to rub some of us the wrong way.

When I used to go door-to-door, a common "conversation stopper" was the thought "...but your religion is an American religion". The reply we would give was that we printed the mags in Australia at our branch in Sydney. What we didn't tell them was that the publications were all type-set in America first. Or that the Aussie branch couldn't operate independently of the HQ in Brooklyn.

• Englishman
    Englishman

OK, what about hats? Now before everyone says that Englishman has lost his marbles, let me tell you about American influence on JW fashions.

When I first started to be hauled along to the meetings back in the 50`s, I noticed immediately that most of the men donned Homburg type hats for the journey home, often they wore these hats in summer, no coat, just a suit. Virtually only JW`s were thus attired. Yet you look at a 50`s US street scene in a movie, and that is how many American males were dressed.

Same with spectacles, gold plated ear hooks and rimless lenses, a` la Nathan Knorr, every circuit servant strived for the Nathan look - ever seen pics of Sadams pals aping Sadam, - very scary!

Neck ties were also very US in style back then, kipper wide with a painted pic as I recall.

Englishman.

• philo
    philo

Hello Xandit

Hornblower and Sharpe are great but I love the Aubrey Maturin novels, I've read the lot (I think). And O'Brian is by far the best writer in my opinion. Do you know whether any have been dramatised for TV like Hornblower has been.
    There was a radio dramatisation on the BBC of Master and commander. The PO of my congregation put me on to O'Brian's books, and we listened to an episode on the radio together. They seemed to lay particular emphasis on sex 'scenes' (with all the grunting and moaning). And they did a sailor-goat sex scene (with obligatory welsh accent and bleating). He was rather shocked to say the least. He had read all the books, without noticing the grubby side in the stories.

::About beards. This whole deal really runs back to the time of Rutherford. When he took over, a certain number of Bethelites grew beards in protest, ala' Russell. Almost no one knows about the original reason, it's just become a tradition. Ever since that time beards have been virtually verboten

That's new to me. I'd like to read more about it, can you suggest where to look?

Philo

• Xandit
    Xandit

O'Brian is very good, I guess that should be 'was' very good unfortunately. What do you think of the Alexander Kent series, the Bolitho books?

I'm trying to dredge my memory for the beard thing, it will come to me eventually.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Xandit, I also loved Hornblower and the Bolitho series. Haven't yet explored the Aubrey/Maturin series. Have you tried the WWII novels by Douglas Reeman (pen name Alexander Kent for the Bolitho books)?

Englishman, when I first emigrated I was pressured into buying a hat to wear in field service because of the ear-splicing Canadian winter. Of course, I couldn't use a baseball cap or a bobble hat - not smart enough. So I bought this black wide brimmed thing. Felt like Al Capone; looked ridiculous. I think the WT has a hat fixation because that's what they're always talking out of.

Grunt, I don't think non-WT Americans need to apologize for the WT. I'm not going to apologize for my countrymen who caused the White House to be white.

Thirdson, Your point about cost-savings is good, but since the mags. are printed in the UK and other countries, would it really cost so much to have an unpaid slave simply change the spelling before printing?

Expatbrit.

• philo
    philo

Bolitho?

He's way too romantic for me. Apart from personal taste, he's out of period. I like to have more 'enlightenment' and less 'romanticism'. If you want to bring in steam power and the Black Prince then lets have the schmultz, but otherwise lets stay dry.

And POB's characters are real in that you sometimes don't like them, but then they win you back. Whereas most of the other authors in the genre write about incorruptible heroes.

philo

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Expat,

Thirdson, Your point about cost-savings is good, but since the mags. are printed in the UK and other countries, would it really cost so much to have an unpaid slave simply change the spelling before printing?

My thought was a guess. However, since the WTS sends the information already typeset for simply remote printing then not only would there be translation to be done but also re-typesetting. I used to work for a British software company that supplied the US market. They couldn't be bothered to do a proper translation into Amercan English whereas they were forced to translate for German, French and Spanish users. It was all down to economics.

Randy might be able to add more.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Thirdson:

Sounds like you know much more about the printing trade than I do. I never really got beyond the potato printing stage in primary school!

But bugger me, I still find it irritating that cash takes precedence over consideration for other cultures!

Expatbrit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit