The real issue is long term solvency.

by joe134cd 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Ok every one raves on at how miserable and tight Wt is, while they are literally swimming in money and assets. Although this may be true this isn't the real issue or the problem to begin with. The problem is having a long term survivable business plan. This perfectly explains their behaviour and this is where all the cash is been put to ensure long term solvency. What other business wouldn't do the same thing. So think before you open your mouth.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    But isn't this, supposed to be a religion, not a business? Why aren't they trusting in Jehovah, something they have advised everyone else to do?
  • millie210
    millie210

How could they possibly expect any long term solvent business model when their support is coming from minimum wage workers and/or pioneers?

Without education and with out long hours working (time is spent at meetings, assemblies and field service instead of overtime at work) how can there be extra money to send them?

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    I get the impression they thought the end would come sooner and now they are just scrambling to keep up with changing demographics and a more secular tech society. That and visions of grandeur from their GB are not helping.
  • SimonSays
    SimonSays

All you need is to ask someone who knows about tax exempt businesses which ultimately religions fall under. Very religion has what is called a business portfolio. This means to have governments monitor charitable contributions that are made for religious purposes.

Monies that are made by let’s say sales of buildings automatically revert back to the portfolio, not the people or the governing body. This also keeps an eye of interest generated. Some charities are not tax exempt by which the interest generated will pay those taxes.

• oppostate
    oppostate
    So think before you open your mouth.

Wow. You obviously must have done some deep thinking before blabbing your mouth speculating nonsense like that.

The WT is bent on getting every penny it can so that it can keep getting bigger and more powerful, more controlling and domineering.

By long term solvency and survival maybe you meant sustainable. If you did, Perhaps you aren't aware that one of the first things a "sustainable" business would do is try to retain talent, creative people with critical skills who are the lifeblood of the company. The WT seems hell bent on foiling followers efforts to grow their talents with the anti-higher-ed mindset.

Their mission statement is murky, changeable with every effort made to remain tax exempt throughout its lucre loving past.

Their reports of hours and publishers are doctored up, changing the stipulation for publisher reporting hours so that the totals are increased year after year. But since their requirements changed one year cannot be "fairly" compared with another and percentage of increase published. This is quite dishonest.

Likewise dishonest is their misquoting "expert" scientists, Bible scholars and academics. On one hand they say the whole world is wicked and belongs to Satan, but they dare make use of this world's "experts" when the need suits them. Dishonesty will only drive more and more followers away from their organization as they become more aware of WT practices.

So in order to hide their practices they have to keep a tight lid on "shepherding" books, elder school's curriculum and letters to elder bodies which explicitly demands information be kept secret from the rank & file witnesses.

Their public credibility, confidence, takes a dive every time their secret guidelines and dirty dealings are exposed. Case in point, the UN NGO status fiasco. There is no commitment on their part to honesty in public relations. They bend the truth and sometimes give contradicting information as part of their "warfare strategy" against anyone who dares try to hold them accountable.

As a practice they do not contract with the best available providers of services, but depend on free volunteer labor. This has resulted in much waste in the past. They repeatedly prove to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Instead of reducing waste and resources they are gluttons for printing and distributing publications that few will make any use of. Their value doesn't last a decade because their teachings change so often and as a result older publications are useless.

So maybe you didn't mean "sustainable" when you mentioned solvency and survival. Maybe you meant that they'll try to squeeze every penny they can from followers, even kids' ice cream money, to stay "solvent" and they can ensure the "survival" of their status and power. If that is the case then it makes them that much more despicable to hide their business behind a religious tax-exempt front.

Either way you meant it, they're obviously greedy and dishonest.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I believe the purpose of the WTS money grab is to build a huge investment portfolio that will allow them to be self-sustaining financially. Donations may wane in tough economic times, but investments keep paying interest. This would be similar to large Ivy League universities that build huge endowment funds from their wealthy alumni. Some have over $1Billion in their fund which generates income perpetually without them ever spending the gifted funds. Many students receive scholarships. Children of employees attend for free. Tuition is just a "bonus".

With the WTS plan, they will have Million$ of regular income from their Billion$ invested. Assm Hall fees are another fixed, dependable constant source of income. If the donations do not come in at the Assm to cover the "expenses", the Circuit simply sends a "bill" to each Cong (based on publisher count) to make up the deficit. The WTS does not want to depend on the whim of the R&F making donations. Most do not do so anyway.

Doc

Doc

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    The problem is having a long term survivable business plan. This perfectly explains their behaviour and this is where all the cash is been put to ensure long term solvency. What other business wouldn't do the same thing. So think before you open your mouth.

Whose problem? Watchtower's problem. Then they should be honest and say why they need the money. "We've added some of our financial strategy cost projections to what we say it costs us to run this assembly hall that we own and pay no tax on, so if 40 or 50 dollars a head sounds high, that is why. We have pedophile lawsuits to pay for. We've taken all the cash from all the congregations because it takes money to make money and we want to make more because we anticipate donations will be down."

My problem is this multi-million dollar printing corporation representing God for my loved ones. And now that print is nearly dead, they won't just go away, but come up with more ways to manipulate people.

I am not sure what problem to which you are referring, but their behaviour is not perfectly explained to my JW loved ones. I am thinking before I open my mouth.

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

believe the purpose of the WTS money grab is to build a huge investment portfolio that will allow them to be self-sustaining financially. Donations may wane in tough economic times, but investments keep paying interest.

I agree with DoC. Does anyone know if the WTS has any type of incidental insurance that protect corporations? I believe the term squander the money is presumptuous.

By long term solvency and survival maybe you meant sustainable. If you did, Perhaps you aren't aware that one of the first things a "sustainable" business would do is try to retain talent, creative people with critical skills

The talent is in the structure of the WTS, aside from that, many talents are utilized for different purposes. Remember this is a Religious Organization, not ABC broadcasting.

• steve2
    steve2
    Has anyone at the financial helm of the organization ever left? If so, he'd have some compelling observations to share.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit