! ! ! ! ! WORLD CUP -- C'MON ENGLAND ! ! ! ! !

by nicolaou 22 Replies latest social physical

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Okay, weve lost Gerrard - that's the biggest blow in my book - but Beckham seems almost up to speed. So what do you think? Do we have any chance of making it to the 2nd round?

I think Nigeria are more of a threat than Sweden who we should beat. Finishing second in the group after the Argies would do - hell, it would definately do!

Can't wait for Sunday!!

Nic'

• D8TA
    D8TA

We here in the U.S. have a minor "football-soccer" following. I don't know much about FIFA, only that Brazil is in it. My wife is from Brazil. (help...someone save me...she is making me type this...OUCH...now she is using physical force!)

*cough* anyways...

I unofficially, under great protest and duress, have to type:

BRAZIL IS THE BEST DAMN FOOTBALL TEAM THERE IS!

(help! anyone? she's punching my arm!)

D8TA

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

yanks - when will they ever, ever learn?[8>]

Nic'

• JanH
    JanH

Nic,

Like most people, I expect Argentina to go through from group F as winners. England and Sweden are about the same strength currently. Nigeria could do very well, but with one notable exception, African teams don't do well in tournaments. My guess is England and Argentina. For England, it all depends on beating or at worst drawing against Sweden.

England is very dependant on the form of key players. If Owen is able to do his magic, that is sufficient to win any game even on a bad day, but we all know he's been up and down this season. Same applies to Beckham. It will be exciting to watch. I'll be watching the games with lots of English friends; if England do well it will be awesome.

Honestly, though, I'd normally expect the semis to be between Argentina, France, Italy and Germany (!). Due to the structure of the groups, that may not even be possible. Brazil is surely a team to be considered, but there are others in that category, including England. I hope that "football's coming home" this year, but try to remain realistic.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• cornish
    cornish

A tough group for England,I still cant understand why England as qualifying gruop leaders were not seeded but Germany,runners up were,I mean their group is a dodle.

I would be more confident about Beckham if he had got in more pre match prep under his belt but I think the guy is full of spirit and motivation so he will still really go for it and play well.

Its a funny thing but when England play the toughest teams they often excell themselves pull out all the stops,so lets hope they will now.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Doubt it -

We never beat Sweden. The Argies are favourites and Nigeria could beat us as well. But who's to say that Nigeria won't beat Argentina like they did at USA '94 and throw the group wide open.
    If we're second we play France next - then Brazil (probably) in the quarter finals. We haven't a chance!
    Maybe if Ryan Giggs played for England like he did at school level then we'd have a better chance!

And to all the Yanks on the board - how come you have something called the "World Series" when only you play baseball! In the UK we call it "rounders" - and it's for girls!

• JanH
    JanH
    We never beat Sweden.

It's as close to an even match as you can get! They drew in the friendly. The result may well be up to the form of the key strikers, Ljungberg and Owen. But Ljungberg (if really fit) is more dependent on a midfielder genious (like Bergkamp for Arsenal, who isn't even in the WC) feeding him than Owen, who has the ability to create a goal out of nothing, and who also can hope to be fed by Becks. Sweden has no genious midfield playmaker (but, of course, many very good players).

The key word is form. Owen has been up and down all season. Ljungberg has been great the last months, but now he may be questionable after the injury. This will be a thriller. If I betted, I'd put my money on a 1-1 draw.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Will they get out of the group?
    I think it unlikely.

If they do, the odds are on them getting knocked out of the next round by France.

It'll be a major miracle if "football's coming home!"

But, as has often been quoted... it's a funny old game!

• chasson
    chasson

And french's team is too old, i am scared to see it in 40 minutes.

I hope that they will recovered their spirit of 1998, but i have no illusion.

Senegual 2 France 1

Bye

Charles

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

I don't think England have a chance, it's highly doubtful they'll beat Sweden, as City Fan said, and Nigeria could force a draw too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit