Losing my religion

by professor 14 Replies latest jw friends

• professor
    professor

new requirement for a satisfactory religion in which to present to my children as an option:

1. no murderous medical policies

2. respect for other people and their faiths

3. benefits the family, does not tear it apart

4. no false prophesies

5. not a haven for sexual predators

6. if Bible is used, a realistic use of Bible principles

7. promotes progressive understanding instead of denying facts until they can no longer be denied

8. lies are not justified in any way

Anyone?

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Sounds like the First Nondenominational Evangelical Seven Day Blessed Lady of the Evening Witness to the Purple Electric Church of What's Happening Now.

All monetary donations can be sent to the Lord (at my address, of course).

Single ladies most welcome.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I feel the need to let my children make up their own minds when it
    comes to religion , but with caution. I will always be on guard if they join any organization or religion or whatever,, out of fear for
    what we have been thru as a family. My son spent the nite with a friend the other nite , and went to church with him , just because it was there was nothing better to do. I was proud that he wasnt afraid to go.. he was raised JW up unti a year ago,, he is 15 now.
    But he has a good head on his shoulders and said he just went for his friend and doesnt care to go again.LOL... I think he will always be gun shy , in regards to church... religion.... But at least he
    is open minded and that is what is so wonderful about the freedom we have now,,, it is ok to check things out and see if they are for us or not. It is so much better than being told what we are allowed to do and not do.

• Bang
    Bang

Stop in and see the Dalai next time he's past.
    I'd like to be able to say one of the spiritual groups of the RCC, but it seems that in the west there's no 'sexual guarantee'.

There are great groups all over the place though - in our parish we've got many group activities that people can get really immersed in, like taking families to visit prisoners, advocating for refugees, clothing shops/food etc. - serious spirituality and theology: we have prayers from Islam, buddhist teachings, eastern spiritual teachings - no sex problems, I think they're onto that sort of stuff: you need a priest / pastor or whatever who doesn't get pushed around at all, for the right reasons.

Then again, depending on where you go, you might not agree with much of the doctrine, but the beauty is you don't have to, you only need to agree with the basics.

I hope you find a tradition worthy of your gift.

Here's a short story.

"Calamities can bring
    growth and Enlightenment,"
    said the Master.

And he explained it thus:

"Each day a bird would shelter
    in the withered branches of a tree
    that stood in the middle of a vast deserted plain.
    One day a whirlwind uprooted the tree,
    forcing the poor bird to fly a hundred miles
    in search of shelter ~
    ' til it finally came to a forest of fruit-laden trees."

And he concluded:
    "If the withered tree had survived,
    nothing would have induced the bird
    to give up its security and fly."

by Anthony de Mello - Indian Jesuit priest

Bang

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

LyinEyes, whenever we make up our minds, isn't that independent thinking?

2Cor.13:5 says, "Keep testing whether YOU are in the faith, keep proving what YOU yourselves are...." How about 1Thess.5:21, "Make sure of all things;hold fast to what is fine. 22, Abstain from every form of wickedness." How can anyone truly 'apply' these scriptures without independent thinking? Isn't serving our Creator a 'personal' matter?
    When something is personal isn't that independent thinking? When someone chooses your mate, clothes, work, etc, are you not deprived of independent thinking? Does a child you thinks contrary to his parents personal preferences make him/her a rebel? Does acting on YOUR choice make you an apostate? The Creator made us clones in the sense of being just humans, aside from that we have choices, variety. Is not 'nature' endowed with boundless variety and choices? Are we not part of nature? Yes, because because man was made from the dust of the ground! Besides, are we not answerable to our Creator when it comes to HIS way of governance? Losing faith in any religious organization doesn't mean you lose faith in your Creator. The Psalmists said, "Do not put your trust in nobles nor in the sons of man, to whom no salvation belongs." Ps. 146:3,4.

Why is it that man's Creator gives us 'space' when our fellow man deny's us of our freedoms?

Guest 77

• Bang
    Bang

Guest,
    Nice post,
    But I must say that there's a jovy word that you used that literally grates on my soul - "fine". I've heard this word used before and it must be a jw thing, pride, and it takes away the sense.
    "Hold fast to what is good". The word fine has it's common roots with finish, final - ended and it's an obvious jwism that I strain to bear with.

There's a few words that they have applied that affect me such as "ransom sacrifice" - it sounds as though it's God who's being paid - it's a shocka.

Good post though.

Bang

• Francois
    Francois

I introduced my children to ALL the world's great religious philosophies, not just Christendom. They, and I, were very attracted by some of the eastern philosophies. At base, and when the cultural overlays were removed, they are not that much different from Christendom. Or, said another way, once Christendom is stripped of its cultural overlays, it is not that much different than the great eastern philosophies. And I'm not talking about dressing up in saffron robes and wondering around airports chanting about Krishna and expecting handouts.

We used as a textbook Houston Smith's excellent review of all the major religious philosophies, "Religions of Man." This is a very good text in that Smith grinds no personal axes. It is a completely un-biased, uncolored presentation of the religious philosophies of the world. And I was struck by the similarity, almost congruency, of the beliefs and teachings presented in the book. I obviously recommend it very highly.

Hope this helps.

Francois

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Bang, I'll have to keep a few different translations besides me from now on. I do get your drift. Thanks. I know you know I did not mean to get under your skin.

Guest 77

• Carmel
    Carmel

Francois,

Isn't it interesting that each of the religions are fundamentally the same but see themselve as unique and superior. Christianity especially that claims godhood for its prophet. Now, the challenge! What religion recognizes them as all being the same as a matter of doctrin? And more important, when so doing, where do we go from here?

Professor, when I left dubdumb, I set down a list of what a religion would have to be before I would associate with it. If you want my list, e-mail me at < [email protected]>

carm

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

How about humanism? It's not really a religion as such, but fulfills all your criteria.

--
    Bad times, hard times - this is what people keep saying; but let us live well, and times shall be good. We are the times: Such as we are, such are the times. - St. Augustine, 354-430

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit