Christmas Beliefs!

by J-DUBBED 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    I attended Christmas Mass with my mother at her Catholic Church (not as a believer, just to sit with mom) ... interestingly the priest gave two possible reasons for the Dec 25 date, the first he spoke about the early Roman church and the Saturnalia.  I was impressed that he addressed it and actually made it sound reasonable that they adopted it into Christianity.  If the Catholic Church was more up front about such things in the past, it would take away some of the ammo of the JW's.
  • Roddy
    Roddy

<<I attended Christmas Mass with my mother at her Catholic Church (not as a believer, just to sit with mom) ... interestingly the priest gave two possible reasons for the Dec 25 date, the first he spoke about the early Roman church and the Saturnalia.  I was impressed that he addressed it and actually made it sound reasonable that they adopted it into Christianity.  If the Catholic Church was more up front about such things in the past, it would take away some of the ammo of the JW's.>>

I'm impressed that the priest admitted that about the Dec 25th date. Still doesn't look good that the basis for Christmas is the Saturnalia.

• Roddy
    Roddy

<<Wasnt it Daniel chap. 9 that talked about Jesus being cut off in the half of the week (year).which would equal 6 months.

Since the date of his death was definitely spring (Easter) that would make six months prior the fall of the year. 

Someone else can come along and explain it better - !>>

I heard similarly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit