That's what's missing from our family

by dissonance_resolved 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Tonight as I was putting my son to bed, we were looking out his bedroom window from his bed, down upon the neighbors' house across the street. They have a beautiful, big sparkly Christmas tree in their front window and my son gazed at it and said, "That's what's missing from our family." Talk about daggers through the heart!

I've been fading for two years, but my husband is still all in and trying to take the kids in tow. I finally worked up the courage to ask him if I could have a tree this year, but it was an unequivocal "no." Not surprising, I don't know what I was thinking.

The hard part is that both of my kids are awake and know that it's all a bunch of hogwash, but they're quite young (preteens) and I continue to tell them that their father has a right to teach them about his religion and they have to show respect to him. I also have a right to teach them critical thinking skills and continue to do that at every opportunity. It looks like my efforts have been working.

Just not sure what to do about the holiday thing- both kids really want to celebrate their birthdays and holidays but if it means breaking up our family? Everything else is tolerable- my husband doesn't give me a hard time about my fading and we just don't talk ahout religion. I continue to try to drop hints and questions here and there to try to get him to wake up but who knows if it will ever work.

It's just so frustrating to see my kids in the middle of all of this. But would being able to have holidays and birthdays be worth it if it meant we had to split up our family? I keep coming to the answer no, but it's hard to watch my kids suffer in the meantime.

• Listener
    Listener

Is it possible for you to buy them some gifts and give it to them on their birthday or Xmas day? You could try doing it in secret and tell the kids not let their father see them until a short time after the occassion.

Our Grandmother would send us kids a little package a month before or after our brithday each year, it used to infuriate our dad and she would use the excuse that she felt she needed to recognize each of us individually at least once a year. Then at Xmas time we would holiday with her and at the end of it she would have a special dinner and give us all presents. It was so thoughtful and puts a smile on my face when I think about it now.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Does your hubby know about all the Pedo cases?? As a father, I find it disturbing. Would it make him wake up??

DD

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

That's a good point DD- I haven't raised the topic with him but may plan to do so. Have to time it so he doesn't feel like I'm all-out apostate on him.

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

That is a very similar situation to our family now. I think the children will value having your unconditional love no matter what. I wouldnt put them in the middle by giving them secret gifts they might feel guilty for. As a child I was constantly put in the situation of choosing which parent to make sad by celebrating or not. I'm still an anxious person in large part because of that. But I do try and do something to acknowledge or recognize each child. Holidays are mainly about the family togetherness.

I'm sorry for the crappy situation you (we!) are in.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I understand what you are saying. When I was fading I asked my kids if they wanted LED lights in their rooms, it was a way of bringing that little bit of Christmas sparkle to them.

If it helps on DDs point I started a topic a few weeks ago called JW parents safeguard your children.

This year my kids are spending Christmas with me and we have lots if lovely decorations. They've been looking forward to it since the summer!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

May I ask if you and your husband have a good relationship still?

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm curious how such a huge "elephant in the room" in the form of you waking up re "the truth" is affecting yor relationship.

Are you baptised too?

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

You could have some candles and decorations in your home that have no connection to christmas (like tree branches etc).

You and your husband together could decide to give the children some gifts or surprises a few days before or after christmas or their birthday. They would not be christmas or birthday gifts, just call them differently, for example "winter gift."

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Stuckinarut2- waking up has taken a toll on our relationship. We weren't great at communicating before and now every little thing has the potential to blow up into something much bigger. We've tried counseling and may continue to do so. I was raised in and baptized as a teenager- if anything, I was more gung-ho than my husband up until I woke up. Now I think he still feels like the rug has been pulled out from under him.

SecretHeart, happy@last and Daniel- thanks for the suggestions. I have put up some other "winter" decorations and we give the kids gifts every year on our wedding anniversary, but it doesnt make this time of year any easier. It's all they hear about from their friends at school and now that they are having more playdates at friends' houses, they see how different we are.

• Heaven
    Heaven

In our family, Christmas morphed into 'Merry Gift Exchange'. Get the kids some presents, call it 'Gift Exchange Day' and do it on a day other than the 25th. Oh, and don't mention anything about Jesus' birthday. Apparently that's a no-no to JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit