JW are naive

by bobld 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

How do you bring out the critical thinking when it has been conditioned to the back of your brain?

I think the main thing keeping the critical thinking in the back of their brain is that they stand to lose too much if they question the teachings. If the religion announced today that the new understanding was that non-Witnesses could survive Armageddon, and there was be no more shunning of those who leave, people would start thinking critically about the religion tomorrow!

Now, some would stay in because they would be afraid of others' disapproval, or of losing the paradise hope, or of losing a belief in God, but many JWs who didn't seem capable of thinking would suddenly seem to get a lot smarter overnight. That's my prediction, anyway.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Ummm, I think not...they know how to work the system...you have to be smart to do that...they play naive so they don't appear worldly, if they act as if they know, then the rest of us would know...that they know...so they say they don't know...to keep you from knowing....that they are part of the world. You know how some folks like to play innocent, but it's only an act....I talk to the friends all they time...they go to the movies, watch TV, etc, they know alot of things but they want to act religious & virginly (is that a word)? But God see's it all....he's all knowing....

So don't buy the naive'ness...they are smarter than most...they know how to work part-time, work the system to their advantage...know how to count time even if they are not making time...they are cleaver....

Some are naieve, but they won't stay that way for long....

Legacy

• LV101
    LV101

An ex-Bethelite used to do our yard at previous residence (very responsible - best yard service we've ever had) and he was no longer a witness - anyway, I was studying and he told me one day that I was naive about the JWs. He was very nice and wasn't being hurtful at all - I thought about it and wish I'd learned more from him. If only. He was so good - my neighbors were waiting for us to move hoping he'd do their yards - only one yard he'd take on -- was so busy.

I don't think I'm naive and people would say I'm extremely perceptive and not gullible but I sure fell for the animal paradise picture. It's because of an individual's family of origin - the past determines the future most of the time, unfortiunately, (losing beloved family members in death that were so important/my case) and wanting perfect family, better world, etc., and a god for justice for all. The cult has one good selling line - a promise for everything and hard to turn down when you are weak in science/facts.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Apognophos - "If the religion announced today that the new understanding was that non-Witnesses could survive Armageddon, and there was be no more shunning of those who leave, people would start thinking critically about the religion tomorrow! Now, some would stay in because they would be afraid of others' disapproval, or of losing the paradise hope, or of losing a belief in God, but many JWs who didn't seem capable of thinking would suddenly seem to get a lot smarter overnight."

Which is in no small part why the WTS can never really reverse their position on those policies, even if they wanted to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit