priorities

by drawcad_1 9 Replies latest jw friends

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

Is it just me or is the focus on building projects. I read through the study for this weekend and all of the focus was on new building construction. I was waiting for them to talk about the ministry, and it was in there, but not as the main priority.

I am amazed after visiting an old congregation of mine back in New England just how few (none) of the publishers had helped out on the new headquarters. I am constantly told by my wife that I should get on a plane from California to help out this great work, and yet people who could get in a car and drive half a day do not even help out.

What do you see as the priorities these days?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

There's good money to be made in real estate, so of course that's top priority.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

One of the biggest priorities for the wtbts is covering their asses on past and present dumb ass teachings. Seems like every new regime of gb members needs to do damage control for the previous regime's failed teachings/predictions. Now that the internet has opened the 'flood gates of heaven' with ttatt, they cannot stop the avalanche of information available in the convience to one's own home at the click of one's mouse.

Another big priority is making money now that the publishing empire is winding down. Yes, real estate will generate income. But how many kh's and assembly halls can they build with slave labor and sell?

Check out this great article on the fall of all "RELIGIONS IN AMERICA."

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/20/were_putting_an_end_to_religion_richard_dawkins_bill_maher_and_the_exploding_new_american_secularism/

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

CYA is very important for them. I listened to the letter that was read just recently on contributions that was mentioned in a previous post and you could almost hear the groan from the audience. As if they were saying, 'not again'.

Now it seems the new construction work in New York and consolidation in other areas is gaining priority. Many experiences in the Watchtower of how Brothers and Sisters made adjustments to new areas or new assignments and 'how they did not complain about Jehovahs arraignment'.

While all of this effort is going on we are not even on the list this year to be considered for a new Kingdom Hall in our area. We now share ours with four other congregations. Just before the new arraignment for the RBC we were on a short list, now maybe a little work on the outside of our hall.

I will read the article on the fall of religion later. Thanks for the information.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Perhaps it's more a priority to get the focus away from things like WT selling about $850,000,000 worth of Brooklyn real estate along with closing and selling dozens of branches around the world.

So now they need volunteers and donations to build Warwick?

The more I think about it, the more this looks like a money-making scam for the janitors at the top!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"The ministry" is a liability. For over a century, it was their way of making money. Even after switching to all-donations, it was their way of making money. Strangers used to pay for all the literature that was made tax-free by volunteers. Then members paid for all the literature that was made tax-free by volunteers. But the money was starting to dry up. Print is so 1990's. In the 21st century, people don't want the Watchtower literature, even if it is free to them.

"The ministry" is still there, because it gives the members purpose and keeps them too busy to question the doctrine. If they abandoned the literature distribution program all at once, not only would the members have more time to question, but they would also have more reason to question why the very thing that made them sure this was God's organization was now abandoned. It will happen, but slowly in stages. I imagine the literature distribution over the last decade has changed enough to keep an actual profit in it. They cheapened the products with paperbacks and thinner mags, less mags, less books. They abandoned mailed-subscriptions and they abandoned keeping large quantities of mags going to each member to the point where they just take what they can place from a stack at the KH. Now, they have the carts and the tables where they don't push the literature on people at all. I bet some members are figuring out that there isn't really a profit in placing more "free" literature.

But to follow the McDonald's pattern of business, the real money is in the real estate. The hamburgers and fries were important to get things going, but the corp. made big money in leasing land and buildings to a franchise that sold their product. In Watchtower land, a congregation could be considered a franchise that used to make it's money by selling the parent company's product. Now, with the product in less demand, the franchise still pays the parent company, but by fleecing the members. And if members didn't give enough to cover the product (literature), the parent company cheapened and reduced their product until the parent company was back on top of this. And anytime a piece of real estate becomes more valuable than the congregations, OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.....or kill the congregation and send them somewhere else.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

OTWO,

Good observation about the franchising of Kingdom Halls. The "new arrangement" of paying forever on the kh, i.e. never really paying off the mortage on a kh and the outrageous 'rent' that is charged for the circuit assemblies at the Assembly Hall makes cents (dollars). The money does seem to be drying up though.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The sad truth is that those "true belivers" who give up everything to help the WTBTS, have done just that. These volunteer workers won't even receive a medal of commendation for slaving away for free. They get bragging rights at the next congregation picnic and they get to comment about what it was like to be there, 20 years from now. They will still be saying that it was the best choice in the Last Days of the Last Days of the Time of the END.

There may be a view who make to HQ, if the cult doesn't burn out. The rest will get old and die, probably poor and shopping at Aldi, wondering what $2 wine to pair with Whiskas.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

EyeUsed2BeAdub, that was an interesting read in Salon, thanks for posting the link!

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

Good comments and ideas. I can see how the money train is slowing down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit