Stupid comment Witness made about the Exodus film.

by Trapped in JW land 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Trapped in JW land
    Trapped in JW land

Aren't those accounts just heartwarming, j dubb?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"I heard it's really violent"

All the reason I need to never open the Bible again.

• Terry
    Terry

"Violent? You mean by that: accurate?"

• steve2
    steve2

I'd say that the JWs sanitized view of "Holy Scripture" illustrates how superficially they read scripture. That the violence in a movie-depiction would put them off seeing it, reveals how little they pay attention to the rampantly routine violence in the Bible which they are supposed to read daily.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I guess the 'logic' for JWS it that violence in the Bible is OK, but violence from Hollywood is BAD.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes this is amazing!

I did a bible highlights talk a month or so back, and used the following introduction:

"How can we respond to critics of the bible that point out the immense amount of violence committed by god and his people as recorded in the bible?

How can we justify such degrees of violence, when we as Christians today shun violence in all its forms? We refuse to watch movies with violence, or be entertained by TV shows, yet we are encouraged to read accounts of violence in the bible....some in the most cruellest forms?

We are even reminded that 'every scripture' should be 'inculcated into our little children' as well...."

Then I just read a few of the relevant violent scriptures, and then threw to the audience for comments...I never answered the questions I raised in the intro!

• Zordino
    Zordino

JW's justify it by reasoning that if J brings the violence well thats just his "superior justice" at work.

ADCMS: Ouch, that hurt just reading that genital cutting story.

• M*A*S*H
    M*A*S*H

Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Some bloke

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

The Passion {by Mel Gibson} was very violent, but I'D STILL

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

recommend it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit