Can anyone tell me any narrative of having successfully avoided Baptism while being raised JW?

by SonoftheTrinity 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Honestly, I'm always hesitant to recommend a kid compare himself to Jesus while all the kids around him are getting baptized no older than 18 (it's likely to cause the JW to think, "Who do you think you are? You're some special case not like the rest of us?"). I like Terry's suggestion the best.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

If memory serves me correctly I think the reasoning given by Wt for baptizing at such a young age is that of Hezekiah. How he was a boy when he began to serve jehovah. Can anyone confirm.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Apognophos,

Using the example of jesus does not mean you are comparing yourself to him, it is saying if the son of god wasn't ready until he was thirty then how can I claim that I am so much more mature and ready for that commitment than the son of god was. I think it is the ones who are getting baptised at less than 30 who think they are special.

Obviously this only works if the person you are talking to was inclined to think that mumbling some words and getting a cold dunk was in anyway a meaningful exercise!

• Heaven
    Heaven

My Mom actually did not encourage child baptism - she felt this was a decision that should be made as an adult. She used Jesus as the example.

Whew! I am so glad she did.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I just think that, from the standpoint of a believer in Jesus, the fact that he was baptized at 30 does not provide some example to be applied to all Christians. Jesus' situation was unique. Think about it this way: was Jesus not sure if he wanted to devote himself to God before 30? Of course not. So there would have to be some other larger reason why his baptism took that long, which would not apply to Christians today. If I were still a believing Witness, I would not be convinced by this analogy and would simply think someone was being deceitful and stalling for time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit