"Worldly" view of Dateline

by DevonMcBride 12 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

All of the non-JW's that I know were shocked to hear that the JW's consider worldly people to be part of Satan's world. Most non-jw's only know that the JW's are holy rollers who go door to door trying to convert. They really don't know much more about them and to learn this was a bit of an education.

Devon

• TexSham
    TexSham

I think most people where shocked by the strange beliefs of the JahKult, and angered by their arrogance regarding child molestation claims.

• waiting
    waiting

I was sitting last night with a couple of worldy people watching Dateline. They know I've left the org. I told them that the major reason I never became better friends with them before was that they were "part of Satan's world and God was going to kill them. I used to know that for a fact."

They just looked at me like "whaaaaaaaaaa?"

waiting

• think41self
    think41self

My boss, who was raised a Catholic but doesn't really practice that religion any more, watched it, and here's what he had to say:

"The crowning moment of the show was when the attorney told the Witness brother to 'ask the accused molester if he did it, and if he said no, to just walk away...'. It was incredible to hear an attorney say that. I am so glad you and Doug are out of that crazy cult."

I of course agreed with him.

P.S. We of course realize that just because Bill Bowen was speaking to the "Legal Dept" in Brooklyn, he may not have been speaking to an attorney...but most people don't realize that. And most people make the assumption that it was.

think41self

This side of Eden, whether we realize it or not, we feel the stain on our souls, and at every opportunity, we try to scrub it away with steel-wool guilt.

• JT
    JT

non jw on my job were in shock at realizing the good looking smiling jw who knocks on thier door views them as servants of satan the devil himself.

it is this type of information that will keep so many people free from the borg

• monalisa
    monalisa

As a non-JW I found the program to be fair and encompassing as much as you could hope for on TV. I have been reading posts on this site for about six months, but have never posted as I didn't feel it was my forum, or my fight, so to speak. But a close friend of mine, who was raised JW suggested I check out the site to try and gain some understanding....well, I've been shocked and outraged and mostly just incredulous at what I have read. And it is true that non-JW's don't give the WTS much thought at all; nice people, friendly, clean-cut, but we never really paid much attention. And this will sure change the way some people think of the organization. Since I've been reading all these stories and tragedies for the past few months I wasn't as shocked as I'm sure many people were. I think the most powerful part for non-JW's was to see Erica shunned while her molester was welcomed back into the congregation with open arms. That will make some people think twice, don't you think?

• LB
    LB

They were fired up over that show at work today. All knew I used to be a JW and they fired question after question at me.

I hope I gave a fine witness

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

When I walked in to work today, one of the first things a friend said to me was "Did you catch Dateline last night about the Jehovah's Witnesses.....what a bunch of losers" He was annoyed at the thought that they think all other people but them will be destroyed by God.

When you think of it, the JW's have very few 'positives' to offer...almost everything is negative and done out of fear. What a way to go through life.

• detective
    detective

As a worldly one i was completely shocked when i first started poking around these sites. I could not reconcile the stuff I was reading with my JW friend. It just didn't seem to fit together at all. I tried to give the witnesses the benefit of the doubt as I read "apostate" materials. But the reality is that when I approached active witness discussion boards and tried to get them to talk to me, they completely tossed me out because i wasn't a witness. and when i wanted to ask questions of my JW friend, I got the cold shoulder and zero phone calls for weeks at a time as a result. I tried to excuse their behavior, believe you me. I was completely naive. Absolutely.
    When i realized just how I was viewed by this group, all because I didn't buy their leopard-lovin', panda-pettin' paradise of a future, I was really disgusted.
    At this point, about a year later, I'm pretty well aware of the double speak and rotten attitudes that are encouraged by this cult. I now gladly tell everyone I meet that gets anywhere near this topic that they are a cult. I believe they meet the destructive cult criteria as listed by several cult experts. I believe they utilize cult-like tactics in recruiting and intimidating members. I believe they rob people of their compassion and humanity or intend to "die trying" at the very least.

It's no longer a shock to me that they have such bigoted views of others. I'm just glad that other people got a chance to see it too.

As for my friend- I mourn everyday. Watching the flicker of his humanity that he had only really just begun to explore be crushed out of him- it's awful. He didn't deserve to be raised in a cult. He doesn't deserve to have to pay for it for the rest of his life.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi monalisa!.......welcome

yes, i noticed all the support the rapist was getting from the cong too!
    they even went to court with him.
    meanwhile they shunned the rape victim.

and how about the advise bill bowen got on the phone from the head quarters legal dept........."if he says he didn't do it, just drop the matter, don't get yourself in a jam"!!!!!!!...OMG!!!!!
    gosh!!!!........that's not much of an investigation!!!!!!!

gee jw pedophiles!!!!, do you hear that????????.....all you gotta do to get away with it is say "you didn't do it, and the matter will be dropped by the elders!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit