Looking for Truth with a capital "T"?

by Terry 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Pearl Dockseye
    Pearl Dockseye
    "The awesome wonders of reality" differ between individuals, as does how each defines "delusion". Both are based upon an individual's experience. I do not claim that your life is without meaning and purpose, even if transient. I claim that my experience has liberated me from the limitations of this moment of consciousness.
  • LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    I recognize free advise. Thanks Mister.
  • Pearl Dockseye
    Pearl Dockseye

Reality and Truth are subjective experiences. I feel that Christ came to offer a wider perspective to the receptive.

"The reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." (John18:37)                             "As long as I am in the world, I am the world's light. While you have the Light, believe in the Light, so that you may become sons of Light." (John9:5; 12:36)

• cofty
    cofty
    as does how each defines "delusion". Both are based upon an individual's experience.

A delusion is a belief that does not align with reality. Reality is not subjective, it is based on objective evidence. Theism is an example of a common delusion. 

However you have said that you would kill yourself if you lost your belief in god so I will leave you with your comfort blanket.

• Pearl Dockseye
    Pearl Dockseye

So you are saying that there is a Truth? A reality?

But our personal perceptions of what reality and truth are, can only be limited by what we have experienced.

The difference between my concept of reality and truth, and yours, demonstrates this.

Your reality seems to be that there is no God. My reality is that God exists. What proves what reality is? We each choose what satisfies our own sense of reality. We can stop there, or we can explore further. Christ invites those who do not have faith in God, to explore further. Perhaps if I ask you, what has proven to you that there is no God? Perhaps if you had experienced that which convinces me of my own perception of reality... You too would realize that your past assumption of reality, was subjectively based upon a limited view of reality, and ironically, a delusion. 

There is one truth, one reality. Who can draw near enough to it, so that it is embraced, while preconceived notions are shed? Only to those who "keep on knocking", that the door of objectivity is opened. The scriptures describe this abandoning of past mental constraints as gaining "wings of eagles". When you gain such oversight, subjectivity fades, the overall picture of reality and truth is seen, and all it's elements fit together, and relate to one another, cohesively. Saul, who became the apostle Paul, was confident of his perception of reality and truth. It was not until Christ opened his mind beyond Paul's past perceptions, that Paul understood what existed beyond his own limited perception. His understanding of reality, changed.

To Paul, Theism was reality. Some are graced with proof of that reality. Those that are not, usually possess the common delusion that nothing exists beyond what they cannot personally perceive.

Since you feel that the significance of your life is relevant, despite a transient existence, and despite the billions who have come before us and have, like an evaporating mist, suffered, and then have been forgotten; I will leave you with your comfort blanket. I am not deluded into bombastically thinking that, should someone hasten the inevitable by suicide, that this would somehow make a difference to the cosmos. Now there's a perception of reality I see no proof of.

• Isle of Lewis
    Isle of Lewis

Everything functions according to its own nature.

A person is correct only to the degree that they accurately identify that nature.

To claim the nature of all things is limited to what I perceive would be narcissistic. 

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

For some people the light of reality is just too hash to their eyes, so a redesigned reality suits them better.

• cofty
    cofty
    So you are saying that there is a Truth? A reality? - PD

No. Please read the title and excellent OP of this thread. 

However specific truths or facts about reality can be discovered. The scientific method is the best tool we have. Your descriptions of your feelings and intuitions are the worse possible sort of evidence since it is entirely subjective.

We each choose what satisfies our own sense of reality

I don't. I used to be a christian. I was certain that I had compelling reasons to believe in god. I had what I thought were sound arguments, evidence and profound personal experience. But I kept an open mind and continued to seek out the very best arguments both for and against my worldview. 

I eventually concluded that there is no objective evidence for the existence of a supernatural god and that there are insurmountable arguments against it.

You have joined a forum where there are a lot of very experiences and knowledgeable people who can help you explore your beliefs. If you have the courage to do so.

• Pearl Dockseye
    Pearl Dockseye

As I have said Cofty...You do not have my experiences, and this limits your perspective.

Do you know what the mathematical improbability is, that each and every life-form on earth, "evolved"?

Do you know the mathematical improbability, that the energy it required to create the total mass of the universe from the state of physical non-existence, to the expanse we are aware of today, came about naturally?

I do not point to "profound personal experience" as my total evidence for what I believe, as if it all occurred independently within my own mental processes. You don't know the totality of that experience, nor of it's objectivity. To assume you do, and to assume what that total experience consists of, is vain error.

Just because your limited personal experience and exploration did not cause you to arrive at the same conclusion as I, does not mean that you now know everything. I would like to hear of your "insurmountable arguments" which prove that God does not exist. I am as confident as you, that I have explored them as well, and beyond. It is up to you whether you have the courage to go beyond your own familiar borders of thought.

Why would I turn to the "experience and knowledge" of others, to help me "explore my beliefs", when I have already experienced a knowledge beyond human thinking?

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

As I've said many times and many ways: a mystic may not believe reality is anything but what the

mind of man convinces him of--but--the mystic always enters and leaves the room through the door and NOT the WALL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit