Looking for Truth with a capital "T"?

by Terry 44 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

SAHS

What you say about each of us experiencing our own little subjective truth (what is true to us based upon our own perceptual senses) - perhaps that is the ultimate truth. I don't suppose that there is some great ultimate truth "out there" that if we all collaborated with our own little pieces of truth we could construct in to some sort of whole truth. Perhaps what is the ultimate truth is that there is no ultimate truth apart from our own experience in the moment. If there were some ultimate truth that exists apart from us, then none of us could ever know it or learn it with our very limited perceptions.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Though I think it is correct to say there is no ultimate truth, or absolute truth, if we are realists rather than fantasists we recognise certain things, based upon facts and experience, as being true for us in a way that will not change.

For example, if I am alive when night ends, tomorrow morning, then I shall experience the Sunlight. It may well be filtered through a heavy layer of gloomy cloud of course, I am in the U.K ! but I shall experience it.

What is irritating, to a rational realist like me, is the person that says "Well I believe it is true and that is good enough for me" about something that is neither backed by facts or experience. JW's do that all the time, and it is a silly position to hold.

• pcop
    pcop

Christ has the truth!

It is unwise to look for the truth in anything or anyone else.

Only if people would listen to The Most High at Luke 9:25 and to His Son at John 14:6.

We are told who "is" the truth.

This person - who is the truth - has told us how to access the source of wealth of endless knowledge, wisdom and understanding - The Father - via prayer "through" him. It is a simple matter of asking for it.

Yet, so many revert to consulting books (yes, that includes the Bible) and other humans and their agencies.

What a faithless world not to have confidence that God is able to provide us with his wisdom, knowledge and understanding just by asking for it through the "only way possible:" His Son.

But no! Confidence is in religious organizations and a book called the Bible as being the way.

The world has forgotten - yes those who claim that are followers of Christ - that God did not send us a book (He could have); he did not send us religious organizations (He could have); He did not send us any of the Prophets of old (He could have). No! He sent us his Son and He commanded that we "Listen to" that Son. (Luke 9:35)

Yet, many of you defend the human and human agency and listen to them.

If they do not listen to the Master, why are you listening to them?

Put this to the test: Ask the Father for His wisdom, understanding and knowledge through His Son (who is not king yet) and have full confidence that He will get these things to you.

The moment you start relying on a book called the Bible and other publications and relying on religious organizations for answers, you will have failed and have not placed faith and confidence in God that He can provide you with those things.

You become like Peter when he stepped out on the sea to walk on it to go to Jesus. He lost confidence and faith and failed to walk on the water.

Our faith and confidence MUST be in The Son of God and no human or human agency or doctrines out of them.

Test it !!!

• Terry
    Terry

Pcop says: Christ has the truth!

It is unwise to look for the truth in anything or anyone else.

Really? Let's look at history.

Messianic Jews had THE LAW, but the idea of Messiah seemed to be a practical means of solving their political problems.

Some Jews accepted Jesus.

Jesus did NOT solve the political problems. He created more!

The pragmatic solution to the destruction of Jerusalem was, for some few, Jesus--because he promised to take his faithful flock to heaven

when he 'returned shortly."

He did NOT return shortly. Those waiting, died!

After a few hundred years waiting on the return of Jesus, practical Christians organized into a monolithic CHURCH.

The CHURCH purported to represent Jesus with the Pontiff or Pope as the (substitute) Vicar of Christ.

He was NOT the Vicar of any real Jesus Christ!

Martin Luther, a disaffected monk, laid a heap of accusations against the Church and split off to form PROTESTANTISM.

He asserted JESUS would allow any Christian to learn True faith simply by prayer, holy spirit, and BIBLE.

Instead, 40,000 different 'true faiths" (denominations, sects, schisms, movements, etc.) soon followed.

To simply say JESUS is the 'truth' is about as empty a statement as can be said aloud.

History demonstrates everybody finds a DIFFERENT version of Jesus.

There is no 'there' there for a good reason. The source of information about Jesus is corrupt: the Bible.

Bottom line? All you get from Bible, Church, and prayer is some patchwork postulate to pour your life and faith into.

Your Jesus can whip my Jesus, but the other guy's Jesus can smackdown your Jesus.

And the beat goes on. . .

WHAT IS THE TEST FOR TRUE JESUS except to DIE. . . and hope you wake up in heaven?

In the meantime, your REAL LIFE is ticking away wasted on candles, prayers, ritual, ceremony, fond wishes, and naive remonstrance.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Good thread terry.

• Terry
    Terry

Much obliged

• Pearl Dockseye
    Pearl Dockseye

"But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” (John4:23,24)

"I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it, and because no lie comes from the truth." (1John2:21)

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John8:12)

"The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John1:9,4,5)

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John14:6)

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free." (Luke4:18)

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John8:32)

"This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God." (John3:19-21)

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." (1Pet.2:9)

“For the lips of a priest ought to preserve knowledge, because he is the messenger of the Lord Almighty and people seek instruction from his mouth." (Mal.2:7)

"You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.” (Rev.5:10)

"This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God." (1Cor.4:1-5)

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matt.5:14-16)

• cofty
    cofty
    Excellent OP Terry.
  • Pearl Dockseye
    Pearl Dockseye

I personally don't know of any people who are free of the common human experience, which includes failed relationships, busting your butt for every fleeting dollar you touch, constant anxiety over the financial demands of existence, aches and pains that come with a steady (or sudden) decline of health, and after the eventual (or sudden) loss of all facilities and pleasures of life, pass into eternal non-existence.

It is almost impossible for me to grasp how that is preferable to the promise recorded at 1Cor.2:9,10...

"But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” (1Cor.2:9)

Such a preference for human commonality is even more confounding, for those who experience the reality of the next verse (1Cor.2:10)...

"For to us God has revealed those promises through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the mysteries of God."

The brilliant promises of God (assured to some, by revelation of His spirit's testimony) seems infinitely preferable than living without such hope. I can't even imagine such a cage.  Without that evidence and hope, I would rather die now and get the misery over with. Just sayin.

• cofty
    cofty
    I would rather die now and get the misery over with. - PD

I am certain that this moment of consciousness is the only one we will ever have.

And yet my life is full of meaning and purpose. 

You need delusions to keep you from the depths of nihilism. I just need the awesome wonders of reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit