life after the wtbts

by Hortensia 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Magnum
    Magnum

I disagree. Some people are extremely interested in certain TV shows and they follow them looking forward to each episode. They might have discussions about the show, anticipate what's going to happen next, etc.

I find observing what's going on in JWdom, anticipating what's going to happen next, etc. to be extremely interesting. And it's real life; it's not a fictional show. JWdom has altered my life permanently in a number of ways; nothing I can do about that. However, it has no hold over me now; I don't fear it. I kind of get tired of hearing people say to move on and leave it behind. No, I don't want to. You feel free to move on. I'm interested in it. Why don't you tell people who are interested in fictional shows to move on? Analyzing what's going on in JWdom can be educational and enlightening. It involves an analysis of human nature, sociology, psychology, etc.

I plan on eagerly watching what goes on in JWdom in the upcoming years because I find it to be interesting (and I expect it to go into decline). And if, as I analyze and observe, my opinion of JWdom continues to become more negative, I might begin to actively oppose it. But it won't be because it has some kind of hold on me; it'll be because I want to.

• Mum
    Mum

I have been out since 1979. I have taken long "leaves of absence" from this board, sometimes because I lacked internet access, but I keep coming back. My hope is that I will find other ex-JW's who I know personally on here. So far, it hasn't happened. I've been to a few apostafests as well, but still no luck. I have found some of my ex-JW former associates on Facebook, which is wonderful.

I entirely agree with Hortensia. Since I exited the JW's, I have obtained a college degree, helped my daughter do the same, associated with people of all kinds who I like and admire, traveled, and enjoyed life in general so much more! I was a convert, so leaving family members behind was not a serious issue with me. Both of my parents became baptized JW's after I exited, but they did not shun me. But I was never DF'ed, but moved far away from my congregation.

As my second husband used to say, "Don't believe a word I say. Trust your own bad eye." It's great to be who you really are. It's wonderful to live from the inside than to be told what to do from the outside.

Best wishes to everyone!

• Magnum
    Magnum

Mum, it seems to me that Hortensia is thinking that some are obsessed with JWdom and that it's holding them back from life. My point is that we can be very interested in the goings-on in JWdom and still be going on with our lives. Can't individuals be extremely interested in gardening or particle physics or horses or sports, spending a lot of time on such interests, and still have normal lives? Of course they can.

So the fact that a lot of us are exremely interested in what's going on in JWdom doesn't mean that it has some kind of hold on us or that we aren't moving on with our lives. As I explained in my previous post, some of are just interested in the latest developments in JWdom. They are interesting to observe, at least to me.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

These "why don't you people get on with your lives?!" threads pop up here on a predictably regular basis. I always find them a bit presumptuous.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Magnum: it seems to me that Hortensia is thinking that some are obsessed with JWdom and that it's holding them back from life. My point is that we can be very interested in the goings-on in JWdom and still be going on with our lives. Can't individuals be extremely interested in gardening or particle physics or horses or sports, spending a lot of time on such interests, and still have normal lives? Of course they can.

I agree with you, Magnum. I have a wide range of interests, including some that (some others) likely think I have TOO MUCH interest in. At the core of my interests is the spectacular rise of China, followed by attempting to gain an insight into East Asian thought and ethic, followed by a study of early Christianity.(All of course, Asian related -grin).

But like you, I like to keep an eye on what is happening inside JW.com. After all, I spent near 40 (lost) years within that prison, not all of them bad.

I've also known (as much as we can know someone on the internet) Hortensia for a long time (and this and another XJW site) and I suggest Hortensia was thinking of the best way to move on, from the mentality that the Christ witnesses of Jehovah inculcated in us.

• Magnum
    Magnum

BizzyBee, that's a good way to describe it - "presumptuous". It's kind of condescending; it's like they're in a higher place and they look down on others and presume to know that these poor others are not moving on in life and are spending too much time keeping up with JWdom.

As I've said, I keep up with JWdom because I want to; I'm interested in it.

• Magnum
    Magnum

fulltimestudent, I can tell from your postings on this forum that you have many and varied interests, and I was already aware of your in interest in China and early Christianity. I'm interested in China and early Christianity, too; I just haven't had time to feed that interest.

And I'm not in the least irritated at Hortensia; I know her intensions are good. I'm just responding freely and honestly as she said to - just like I would with my closest friends.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I guess I wrote this because of a creepy experience I had this weekend. Possibly over-reacting. I hang out here because I'm interested in what people do nowadays, because we have a shared experience in the past, and maybe to find someone I used to know that has escaped also. But I don't really understand the fascination with WT doctrine. Why care? And the desire to bring the WT down? I don't get it. Another one will pop up in its place. There are more dangerous religions on earth right now than the WT.

Not apologizing, just attempting to explain.

Maybe time to say so long? It's just that I like most of the folks here and really respect the intellect of some of you, too. I'm always curious. What's cofty going to say next? Or fulltimestudent? There's a lot of interesting conversation that goes on here. I just don't get the obsession with doctrine, or trying to sabotage the wtbts. I'm still a bit creeped out, I guess.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The simple answer is helping others by exposing the lies, it takes dedicated people to do this. One can leave this Cult and move on with their lives and try to forget all about it, or they can help others escape it. I am thankful there were those people who took the time to expose this religion, every little post, every little thing helps in one way or another.

• flipper
    flipper

HORTENSIA- Interesting thread topic . I can understand how you feel that once a person has moved on they shouldn't be about obsessing over JW doctrine - however part of the healing process in exiting out of the JW cult involves seeing how bat $hit crazy those beliefs and doctrines are AND that the WT Societies teachings and policies actually ARE dangerous to children, women, and others . Even life threatening actually, i.e. the no blood transfusion policy, the child abuse policy, the no signing of the Malawi political card situation - so thousands of JW's actually HAVE lost their lives due to dangerous WT Society policies. So, I agree- there may be more dangerous religions on earth other than Jehovah's Witnesses - but we have to rank them right up there with some of the more dangerous religions psychologically , ethically, and in many instances physically due to spousal and child abuse tolerated. Then there's all the suicides of ex-JW's who've been shunned. So you see my point.

On this board there have recently been several experiences of people assisting and supporting ex-JW's who have gone through splits with their abusive mates, people helping others to move on from exiting the Witnesses by assisting them to process WHAT they went through from WT mind control. And many times by necessity that requires time spent talking about the crazy doctrines or practices of JW's and the WT Society. You mentioned why some are obsessed with bringing the WT Society down ? It's simple really - WT Society has helped destroy many of our relationships with our grown children, or WT shunning policies have turned families against each other with grandparents being shunned from self righteous JW children or the other way around - self righteous JW grandparents or parents shunning their own grown or even minor children. It's really not a stretch of the imagination to see why many of us want this oprganization eventually stopped or put down permanently. WT leaders have a lot to answer for in the destruction of many lives. O.K. I'm done. Just my 2 cents

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit