life after the wtbts

by Hortensia 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

You can't move forward to a new, more interesting, possibly much happier life, if you're still looking behind at the former life.

There is so much obsession on here about what the wtbts is doing, and discussing all the forms of injustice and bullshit in the wtbts, or how to bring down the wtbts. Yes, their doctrines are crazy and they are a cult and cruel to boot. Move on. Learn some new stuff, stuff that is true and useful and interesting. Get some new friends. Get out in the world and experience what it has to offer. If you haven't already, start making plans for the future. Not just retirement. How are you going to really get the most from being alive? Certainly not by clinging with all your might to the past. Maybe you'll have to take that trip forward alone, without your friends or family. I understand the pain of that. But living inauthentically is also painful and a sad waste of a short life.

OK, opinion expressed. Feel free to disagree, call me names, whatever. I'm speaking from the advantage of 33 years out of the wtbts, and years of observing what ex-JWs do in their lives. You aren't really an EX-jw if you're still obsessed with their world.

Sharing my opinion is meant kindly, however you may take it.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

33 years out and your still here? Ragging on others for being here?

• millie210
    millie210

Sharing my opinion is meant kindly, however you may take it.

Ok, well I will take it kindly then!

I get what you are saying but like you stated - you are saying it after 33 years.

For me, I still have one foot in and one foot out physically (family reasons) and yet mentally I am all out.

Emotionally ? Ah, that is where the rub is. Someday's I feel free and triumphant that I can reclaim at least the rest of what's left of my life.

Other days, I grieve and feel lost. I wonder if I will ever get to a new normal.

That's quite a swing between two ways of thinking. Especially for someone who has never felt "lost" in life before now.

My biggest solace at those times is to come here.

Reading peoples posts on all the forms of "injustice and bullshit" helps.

For some reason, I find enormous comfort in knowing I'm not alone in some of the things I experienced. Reading has helped me realize that in fact, some here have had it much worse than I!

That helps to give perspective while I go through whatever this is I am going through.

I didn't dedicate my life, live in harmony with that dedication, find out it was a lie and leave all in one day or week.

I wont be done with processing it in a day or a week either.

After all the pressure and push push push constantly from the Witnesses - its NICE when people here tell me "take your time" examine what you think, test it out.

To be frank, your post makes me feel pressured. Like I should "hurry up and heal".

I realize that probably isn't how you meant it at all.

That's just how I take things currently in my wounded myopic state.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Thirty-three years out of the B.S.? How about 37 years? Problem with me is that I still have two boys -- okay, men -- who remain. Plus several grandchildren whom I've never met, not taken fishing, swimming, golfing, or to the mall.

One never forgets the pain.

Len

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

33 Years for ME too!

I'm still here just out of morbid curiosity, I think. What crazy thing have they thought up now? What nutty things are they doing/saying?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't think Hortensia,was criticizing people for simply posting on JWN, but for still being obsessed with what is going on in the organization. I am mildly interested in major changes in the Watchtower world, but I don't understand some of the massive amount of speculation on every thing printed in the Watchtower. But different strokes for different folks as they say, I've been out for fifteen years, other people are still involved, or have close family that is, obviously their perspective is different

I do think most people move on at some point and lose interest.

• zeb
    zeb

I worked with a guy who had a number tattooed on his arm.

He had moved on with his life as best he could but when terrible things are done to you or your loved ones the experience will shape the rest of your life.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

We all have our scars that's for sure.

• azor
    azor

I am sure that you mean well. I also don't have a problem with tough love when it is appropriate. At best this smacks of a lack of sensitivity to those who have lost so much. How many here have lost loved ones due to this cult and I don't mean figuratively.

This cult is taking people's lives. I almost lost what is one of the dearest things to me, my son. I can't bear to think of someone, anyone losing their child.

How many have committed suicide due to this cult. I thought of it often until I realized that I wasn't crazy but this cult is. Could your words push someone who is recovering over the edge?

Some here have known nothing else and can't fully leave due to family obligations. Sick loved ones and so on. These vent here, hope here, and look for understanding here.

It seems to me that you are still hanging on to your judgmental attitude learned from this cult.

Thankfully most here don't come across like you. I am grateful for the majority of individuals here who show love and support.

We are not just talking opinions here. People have died and are continuing to die because of this cult. I for one believe in causes that could save people's lives. I will do all I can to help save those I love. Even if it's just one.

Please remember words matter.

• kairos
    kairos

These stories must be told.

People are leaving and they'll need comfort like we did.

Always good to check in and offer something if possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit