Why do ultra rich jehovahs witnesses get a free pass when it comes to being materialistic?

by hoser 31 Replies latest jw friends

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The smarter dubs get rich off the dubs who need work. Can you blame them?? DD

• millie210
    millie210

This is the way it is in the world wherever you go.

Which just goes to prove that JWs are no different.

So much for the brag about being "no part" of the world.

In this area of fawning over the rich - they are just like everybody else.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

I have many problems with the Borg. But some elders being rich is definitly not one of them. Good for them.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

A smile, slap on the back and a generous "green handshake" solves many problems in Watchtower land.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The size of a person's bank balance and his or her total wealth does not mean such a person is "materialistic."

The true "Materialist" leaves god out of his or her life. It is possible to be a materialist therefore even if you are dirt poor.

I do agree that in the JW world the rich have it easy, excuses are made for them, and they rise as high in the Borg as they want, quite often.

All this in opposition to the counsel in the Book of James.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The hypocrisy part is quite obvious when elders are chosen for their wealth and prominence within congregations.

You would think by virtue of their wealth and showiness of that wealth that would not be highlighted as being spiritually strong individuals.

I can still remember when the PO in my Hall gave a talk on the crippling of materialism and how we should rather seek doing Jah's

work preaching the good news of the Kingdom, rather pursuing material wealth in this soon to end system of things.

After the talk and meeting I noticed he was wearing a very expensive silk suit and he just recently bought a brand new Chrysler Imperial which he

had sitting in the parking lot.

Even then I new what the word Hypocrite meant.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

What kind of stupid question is that?

I agree with Phizzy, the amount of money is not the issue.

Isn't that the goal, to have money? What else is there and how else can things get accomplished?

I would love to have millions and I don't need a free pass for anything.

I don't do meetings or FS or contribute because it is a total waste, not because materialism is the factor.

Bill Gates contributes 100 million to combat polio. JWs contribute millions for nothing.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Ignoranceisbliss, their wealth is not the issue, though.

It's that these wealty ones openly flaunt their wealth, are appointed to oversight of the congregation which allows them to chastise an un-wealthy one for working on a meeting night, and then they themselves are then treated like celebrities and the rank&file dubs worship them.

Very unlike true "christian" behavior all around.

• Kitledge
    Kitledge

Generally speaking, most JWs are just getting by earning a living. Some are downright "dirt-poor" in some areas.

Lacking any meaningful education beyond high school, most JWs, in my 23+ years experience, earn their living working in "blue-collar type jobs: construction, cleaning, manufacturing plants etc... and typically paid on an hourly basis which may or may not provide a living wage. Oftentimes, wives may be required to work (cleaning, waitress etc.. jobs, typically) if only to make ends meet. Fewer others may have salaried positions while employed in "white-collar" type jobs, usually office work, of one type or another.

So, as a result of traditional WT policies against the pursuit of higher learning and its emphasis on preaching in these "last days", ultra-wealthy JWs are a rarity in most congregations. Again, based on my experience, those that did become wealthy (either through hard work or via an inheritance) are secretly admired for their nice clothes, cars, homes etc... Less affluent JWs tend to be drawn to such ones if only for their own wishful materialistic desires and also to possibly benefit from their "largess", in some fashion or another. It also tends to make any JW look good in the eyes of other "hanging" out with these wealthy JWs. It's all superficial and banal, in my view.

That such wealthy JWs receive a "free pass" is self-explanatory. No elder(s) is going to counsel a wealthy JW for being "too wealthy" while receiving large sums of donations via the contribution box each and every month. The comment of "green handshakes" is very common especially with visiting CO's & DO's who themselves are usually strapped for cash, relying on the local congregations to keep them 'afloat'. The wealthier JWs tend to get more "hang time" with these visiting WT "dignitaries" than less fortunate JWs.

As the expression goes "Bull walks, money talks". And, as Cuba Gooding Jr once famously said, "Show me the money!" In other words, it always has been and always will be all about the $$$$.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I have many problems with the Borg. But some elders being rich is definitly not one of them. Good for them.

I have a BIG problem with it for one simple reason: It provers JWs do not believe what they preach.

When an elder gives a talk telling the entire congregation that Armageddon is "close," coming anyday now, and we (meaning everyone except me, the rich elder) must "simplify" their lives for kingdom interests and not be wasting time planning for retirement, living the good life, developing a career, etc., while the elder is doing the exact opposite, it is ultimate hypocrisy.

If these elders really believed the end was close/soon/coming anyday now, they would sell everything they have in order to preach WT's life-saving message.

If they don't believe what they say from the platform...SHUT THE HELL UP !!

I have no problem with any JW being rich. But don't condemn riches and the good life for everyone else while simultaneously building your own empire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit