Christmas markets - apparently fine for JW's to attend

by FeelingFree 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• erbie
    erbie

I know loads of Jdubstandards that do the whole Christmas thing. My inlaws come for Christmas dinner every year and he is an elder and she a pioneer.

Just brilliant...

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I don't know what a Christmas Market is, but it sounds like a place I would love to check out!

Yes, the hypocrisy is galling. A big one in the States is that JWs don't celebrate Independence Day on the fourth of July, but it sure is okay to go watch the fireworks in the evening! We had to set a study straight once when she told her children to pull down the shades so they didn't accidentally see any fireworks and "celebrate." Not necessary we told her.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Must be OK to get your picture taken on Santa's lap as long as it isn't on Christmas eve.

We used to inadvertently have a turkey on thanksgiving and pray we got an inch of snow so we could cancel the meeting.

• millie210
    millie210

thats really a cute post mynameislame...

especially the part about how you would "inadvertently" have a turkey!

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Feeling Free-- did I understand that you are going to have a baby? If so, congratulations.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't see the problem. A Christmas market is just a marketplace where vendors sell their wares, as long as you aren't buying actual Christmas themed items, where is the harm? These are people in a cult that are managing to make an independent decision about something and you are mad because they are not more cult like?

• kaik
    kaik

I love Xmas markets, and certainly Nuremberg has the nicest one I have been. I miss the time where you can buy roasted chestnut, and spiced hot red wine. And the cookies- walnut and hazelnut cocoa bear paws wrapped in sugar.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Birthday cards sent by a m.s. to his sister at bethel. Happy Birthday sung over the phone by a sister in service to her son.

It's all perfectly fine if nobody knows who might be stumbled! Do whatever you want but don't let anyone find out. Like the elder who wanted to know if he could set off fireworks in our driveway because we lived on top of a hill, away from anyone's view. At the time fireworks were illegal in GA. I said, "Isn't that illegal???!" He said, "Who would know?" I refused permission. This guy wanted to put us at risk by illegal fireworks on our property, and he's an elder.

Marina

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Some great pictures of Christmas markets.Wish I could be there.

http://o.canada.com/travel/photos-colourful-christmas-markets-open-in-germany

Bangalore

• FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

Yes Jeanette we are having a baby :) due in a couple of weeks. Really ready for it to come out now!

Doug - Hope your pressie's go down well! Have you done it annonomously?

LisaRose- Its not that I am mad at them for having a bit of free thinking and being less cult like thats great but I get annoyed when they feel they have to justify everything they do or if some other JW is doing it it's fine or if not they just do it secretively etc. I think if they can use free thinking about a christmas market why cant they be more open minded about other things? Some obvisouly have the capicty for seeing through the "religion". Since being on this site I have noticed a lot more of the hypocrisy regarding the JWs and celebrations such as what other posters have mentioned above. If they are so desperate to celebrate these things you would think it would make them question the societys dubious reasonings as to why they can't.

Also I was just annoyed with her at the time and needed to vent. A couple days earlier she had been trying to pry into what I was allowing my little one to do regarding Christmas at nursery and we don't even go to meetings, but then apparently Christmas food and markets are fine..... I just find it odd!

Bangalore - great pics! Mmmm gluhwein..... Just get this baby out first!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit