Christmas markets - apparently fine for JW's to attend

by FeelingFree 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

This has got me really wound up and I feel the need to post. Our friend an ex JW has just returned from a famous Christmas Market in Germany, now my husband mentioned this to his mum as they have connections there. She got all excited about how amazing the German Christmas markets are there and how she would of def gone to one this year if she had the time! She was practically orgasmic talking about the food etc.

Hubby said "but your not meant to go to anything like that as you don't celebrate, it's all pagen remember" her answer to that was it's only pagen if you celebrate it on the day and got all defensive and huffy!!

Such double, hypocritical standards! It's our 1st Christmas out of the organisation and she wants us to go for dinner on Christmas day too. What a joke, I wouldn't mind so much if she wasn't a full on preachy JW but she really is.

Also seems like most of our old cong went to the Christmas Market in town. I just don't get it!

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

We have a large German xmas market in our city, the JW's have a trolley stand there :)

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Oberhausen rules ;)

• blondie
    blondie

I have heard jws that if they avoided businesses that have xmas decorations and advertising, they could not go anywhere...

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I just posted a non-religious but respective Xmas card along with a small pressie (2 DVD's with hundreds of old WTS periodicals) wrapped in non-religious Xmas paper to a couple of local JW families. I wonder if I will ever find out what they thought.

Doug

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

I would love to go to a Christmas Market by the Germans. I have heard that you haven't celebrated Christmas until you celebrate theirs. The food, the fun, the music, the gifts. Especially before the war it was fabulous. Europeans need holidays like this as winter is so long, despressing and tough. The cold, the cold. Of course the W doesn't want us to have anything to do with it because we might spend a penny on it and it wouldn't go to them. As for it being pagan----so what. The only time the Watchtower lies to us is only when they open their mouths.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Oh, and I hope everyone has a wonderful, happy, joyful Christmas with lots of different types of food, and lots of home made booze, and music and kissing and hugging. And a happy new year too.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of course they go to "Christmas Markets" and enjoy Christmas food and the pretty lights.....they just don't do it to celebrate Christmas. They buy food to feed the family, which they need in December as much as any time, and if nice things are available , you just strip off the Christmas wrapping and eat it anyway..Of course you/they don't do it on "That Day", because that could be celebrating? and this year it falls on a Thursday so there is a meeting anyway. But any other time is o k ..... (that is the kind of reasoning that I hear)

If pushed they would probably quote 1 Cor 10.25

Everything that is sold in a meat market keep eating, making no inquiry on account of YOUR conscience; 26 for “to Jehovah belong the earth and that which fills it.

• FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

German markets are the best no doubt!

I was just really wound up earlier and wanted to vent, since leaving I find it all these rules they make up about every little thing so STUPID. Plus I'm sure you have guessed that I just find my mother-in-law annoying!

I remember a while back there was a talk at an assembly I think on being totally seperate from the "world" and this would include not indulging in festive foods as we wouldn't want to stumble others. No one I know unless they were braindead listened to this guidence from the FDS.

We will be getting a new baby for crimbo :) so no proper celebrations for us this year, however next year - cant wait!

• sylvlef
    sylvlef

my jw gung ho wife love Christmas markets.we go every year to one. Even a few years ago we went to the x-mas market in Strasburg...

she likes it. And i enjoy it toi, even if it Is most commercial stuff for me...

but yeah, jw double standard...as soon as she got out, she is all about how "we have the truth" etc...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit