About the ten plagues in Egypt

by runForever 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

runForever,

I have seen it suggested that the name of Mary given to Jesus' mother reflects the name Miriam.

Doug

• runForever
    runForever

Doug: Yes it was adapted from Miriam to Mariam.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

EdenOne,

As HTBWC indicates, it is understood that the initial Deuteronomy scroll from Josiah's time underwent redaction (as did all the writings).

The Deuteronomic History hypothesis postulates that Deuteronomy, as formed during the 6th century Captivity, was the initial scroll of the national history that included Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings. (The book of Chronicles comes from the later Persian period, typified by Ezra. Some aspects of the book of Kings did not accord with his biases so he rewrote parts.)

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Cold Steel,

Are you saying that a person has to believe the Bible in order to believe there is a God?

Is it possible that a person can believe there is a God yet does not accept that the Bible is the Word of God?

Is it possible for a person to believe there is a God yet does not understand what the Bible is saying, or even know that any Bible exists?

The Bible did not come into existence until many centuries after the time of Jesus (=Joshua).

There is no universally accepted Bible, so does that mean there is no God?

Doug

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Ahmose kicked the Hyksos out of Egypt then his son Akhenaten 3 i think, was his name, went out and conquered the near east as far as the Euphrates river, he had something like 17 victorious campaigns. He also had several building project and even built several temples. I believe that Moses was modeled after Ahmose and Jacob, David, Solomon, were all modeled after Akhenaten 3.

• jws
    jws

According to the story, if God hadn't kept hardening Pharaoh's heart every time he was about to give in, maybe it wouldn't have had to have gotten to that last plague.

• jws
    jws

According to the story, if God hadn't kept hardening Pharaoh's heart every time he was about to give in, maybe it wouldn't have had to have gotten to that last plague.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

But being ignorant of evidence isn't the same thing as there being no evidence.

The Moses story appears to be taken from Sumerian myths. All this from a quick search on Google.

Still, just because Babylonian clay tablets may be older than copies of Jewish papyrus doesn't mean the former was first and the latter second. We would have to have the originals of both. Based on the substance of the accounts, the biblical stories sound far more credible to me. For example, there are flood accounts from all over the earth. Either the entire earth was flooded, or peoples brought the accounts with them.

The core of Deuteronomy (12-26) was likely written in the time of Josiah....

Was likely?? According to whom? Josiah brought about his reforms based on the discovery of an old account of Deuteronomy found amongst the scriptures. His rather drastic actions were based on the reading of this book.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Thanks, Doug.

I clearly need to read more into that subject.

Eden

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Are you saying that a person has to believe the Bible in order to believe there is a God?

No. A person can believe in any god or set of gods without the Bible to guide them. If fact, people can believe anything they wish.

Is it possible that a person can believe there is a God yet does not accept that the Bible is the Word of God?

Yes.

Is it possible for a person to believe there is a God yet does not understand what the Bible is saying, or even know that any Bible exists?

Again, yes.

The Bible did not come into existence until many centuries after the time of Jesus (=Joshua).

Well, I wouldn't say "many" centuries. I'd say several. The Bible came into being around the fourth century, A.D., the Qur'an in the seventh century and the Book of Mormon in 1830.

There is no universally accepted Bible, so does that mean there is no God?

No. Christians don't accept the Qur'an, and the Muslims don't accept the Book of Mormon or the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit