About the ten plagues in Egypt

by runForever 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Cold steel - you have no more evidence that moses existed than I have that the hardy boys exist. There's also zero evidence of a single massive exodus from Egypt as is claimed in the Bible.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Moses claimed to represent the God of Israel. He provided (according to the account) extraordinary evidence to back that claim that all could see.

This seems to be the case in most biblical accounts for leaders of God's people.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy today?

It would be nice if proof could be provided without someone or something suffering or having to be killed.

Because of that very reason me thinks Bible is made mostly of stories to be taken with a grain of salt.

More figurative than literal.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Forty years to walk accross a desert that could be walked accross in less than half a year, unlikely. There is a theory that there was a trickle of immagrents over a period of years from Egypt. The Moses story appears to be taken from Sumerian myths. All this from a quick search on Google.

• runForever
    runForever

"Forty years to walk accross a desert that could be walked accross in less than half a year, unlikely."

well it says God did that to them on purpose: " "So the LORD'S anger burned against Israel, and He made them wander in the wilderness forty years, until the entire generation of those who had done evil in the sight of the LORD was destroyed. "-numbers

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

40 years wandering in the desert and not one archaeological evidence.

The Torah is a compilation of writings from a number of (competing) sources. No writer was present at either creation myth, tower of Babel, the flood myth, stories concering Abram, and such. These were influenced by the Jews' encounters with neo-Babylonia during the Captivity.

Deuteronomy was likely freshly written when it was discovered and read to King Josiah. The name 'Moses' sounds similar to the name of a certain Pharoah.

As with the WTS, religions revisit and recreate history for propaganda purposes.

Doug

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Doug,

if I understand correctly, are you proposing that Deuteronomy was a literary forgery concocted at the time of King Josiah? Everything I have read until now claims that Deuteronomy was written around the time of the Babylonian exile, not before that.

Eden

• runForever
    runForever

"The name 'Moses' sounds similar to the name of a certain Pharoah."

Ok Moses was trained in Egypt and could have had an Egyptian influenced name. Miriam is also another hebrewized Egyptian name.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

EdenOne... The core of Deuteronomy (12-26) was likely written in the time of Josiah.... The rest during and after the exile. That is what is accepted by most schoolars and historians. Some of the laws in Josiah's law code were older and from the the northern kingdom before 722BCE likely.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yer, and if I went and killed a baby or two, you would be in fear of me as well!....

BUT you would also question my sanity, and render swift puishment on me...you would NOT hold me up as an EXAMPLE to follow or a person to worship! Right?

• runForever
    runForever

stuckinarut2: Yes I would be worried if you were my neighbor. That is terror because you chose to be that way not that I chose to confront you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit