Did you AWAKEN from the JWs by yourself?

by cultBgone 65 Replies latest jw friends

• prologos
    prologos

NO, wt rang, and was' the ALARM clock that did it. First shock came when The 'superior authority reversal' coincided with a "bible study" I had in the " Let God be true--" (WT a liar)' book, who quit at that chapter THE SAME DAY! I received the copy!

From then on, I became a latter day Beorean (sic), even had a website with that name. Examined every old and new doctrine, and found them all wanting, the handwriting was on the wall (paper).

Mainly the Israel of God, the twelve Tribes, Other Sheep, Memorial partaking.

Baptized in 1957, started reading TTATT websites only in 2012 after the Corporate meeting., and was impressed with the depth of the research to debunk wt teachings.

Now i know, that starting with I:I not just wt, but even The "B----" and the S------" in wtBtS inc. is wrong, and well described by those two letters.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I was awakening on my own. Probably because I never fully believed it all anyway. Then, when I was ready, I opened pandora's box. You cannot make someone do that.

DD

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I recognized that there were things that didn't make sense, didn't add up and in some cases (charity) just offended me. I read the bible and saw lots of conflicts with what they taught and what it said. I had a complete library of WT stuff from near the beginning and had seen enough of that to think there was some nuttiness going on. I started reading the bible for what it said. I went to libraries and tried to learn more. I went to a christian bookstore and started to see some real "dirt". I was 10 or so when 1975 didn't happen, so I remember quite a lot about all that. Right before I wiped my hands of the entire thing,the article in 80 or 81 came out and then an elder told us of his experience during our Sat night youth meeting. Then our youth meetins on Sat was cancelled (we always had elders or MS chaperoning),the elder was removed.. . well, it was probably the final straw. I knew I was going to go but all that was so ugly I couldn't stay any longer. I told my mom, she made me tell my 'book study' pioneer who couldn't answer my questions. I was sent to elders. I told them all that I thought was messed up (I had a notebook). I said I wasnt going around telling others, Ijust didn't plan to go any further as a JW and I wasn't baptised so I am done. I was DA'd with no further ado. I was 15 and not baptised. I thought that was kind of dramatic for a kid who was not immoral, drinking or using drugs. I mean-itwas the 80's and my sin was disagreeing. So, suddenly no JWs would speak to me. I later found out that they had all been saying I had a baby. They thought that the little girl I brought to the homecoming parade in my senior year was mine (no, I double booked and coudn't get out of my babysitting that night and parents thought she would have fun in the parade).

I woke up on my own, but I eventually got other input that helped me vocalize my issues.

I still find it weird that they felt I was so dangerous to the cong that they DA'd me immediately. I wasn't disrespectful or rude. No tattoos or immodesty. Never talked about any of it to anyone but my mom and study lady. I only used the bible and WT publications.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I had a Bible Student who planted many, many seeds. Things that disturbed me then, but the CD kicked in and prevented me from awakening. But the seeds were planted. Fast forward and being exposed to gross miscarriages of justice due to nepotism, simony, and favoritism which tore down any chance of their being "spirit direction" involved in the JW "politics". Yep, finally saw it as it is -- human politics -- some "good" sincere politicians; some bad self-serving politicians. Clearly nothing "God" related. Then like DATA-DOG, I went back and opened the Pandora's Box only to find that all those seeds easily took root and grew.

Doc

• apostrate
    apostrate

To tell my story would fill a big thick book. But, to narrow it down to a few sentences, it came down to this. At about 25 years old I could no longer bring myself to go out door-to-door telling people that becoming a Jehovahs Witness would bring about true happiness, it was the best way of life. I had been associated with JW's for nearly 15 years at that time, and it did not bring any degree of true happiness in my life, so I could not endorse this way of life to other people. So I stopped attending and eventually moved to another city in another state.

I had nobody to help me transition into life away from the WT. I did it on my own and I felt like I was the only person in the whole world with my particular problem. I had to figure out what I, alone, believed as opposed to what some organization was telling me to believe. And it took me almost another twenty years to find out that there were tens of thousands, at least, who were going through pretty much the same situation as myself.

When I read Crisis Of Conscience, all of the pieces of the puzzle fell into place!

• Violia
    Violia

The jws themselves help me awaken- their total lack of anything resembling love. I could see mercy and justice were just for the special and not for all. I finally went to college ( 42 graduated) and during first year took Sociology and it helped me see what propaganda was ( covers of wt/awake mags all the books etc ) . Also their cruel treament of people who had problems helped me see this too. I saw that despite their claims they NO social class divisions among themselves ---they did. I just did not see any love.

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

I woke up by myself. Since I started studying I always said that I'm a jehovah's witness because they teach the truth and everything makes sense. If mormons had truth I would be with them. that was my standard so when I accidently came across some information on the internet, I reminded myself that i couldn't be scared of finding out an ugly truth if it was there. It's an obligation. So I did hours of research from then on. I think from day 3 of heavily researching everything about the organization I realized this was not God's organization.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

No one else really woke me up. As early as 2007 I prayed for a job and got one.... Of course I had left a resume at the job I got lol

It was 2010 when I read books about events in the bible could NOT be found in archeology.. if that was true and Genesis was wrong then Jesus was either lying or was a myth... I decided to see if there was 100% proof of evolution... if I couldn't find it I would cast my doubts aside... I found it... ERVs and Chromosome #2....

I was awake... But i'm still trapped in.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

My awakening was almost completely due to my love of learning, particularly in the subjects of astrophysics, cosmology, biology, psychology and logic. Once I was primed with sufficient knowledge to understand that it was possible the world could be explained without the WTS's theology and recognized the many logical fallacies and miss-characterizations all it took was a good kick in the pants from jwfacts for me to see the cult for what it was.

I was never fortunate enough to have someone try to help me awaken. I'd guess that I was prime for awakening for probably 10 years before it actually happened. Just sorta floated along with many doubts all those years.

• Over%forme
    Over%forme

My Son left, and I wanted him back

so I tried, it backfired, He got me out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit