Brother Knorr's Cadillac and other secret perks

by tim hooper 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is so, so funny ! When I was about 10 years old, around 1959, I had a friend in the JW's, Marty, who was a couple of years older than me, he had a wicked, surreal sense of humour, he used to go off on these satirical riffs, he was a proto-Python I think.

One went along the lines of Knorr being spoken to by the other top guys at JW HQ like this :

" Nat, one Cadillac we can explain away, but a different coloured one for each day of the week ? ....."

I laughed, but never thought there was any truth in it, neither did my friend Marty I'm sure, but he must have been pretty good at seeing the religion for what it really was, he left in his mid-teens.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have to agree with Under The Radar: Scandal is to be found within the Borg,no doubt, but you will need to look elsewhere in this instance.

In Alaska, tons of regular people use aircraft to get to remote places.

Heck, even if it were a plush luxury small craft out of somewhere in New York, I gotta say this: It's good to be King. I would be okay with some of their perks if they were a bit more honest about them. I think most of the GB today got where they are by giving their whole lives to Watchtower just to be even considered for the GB.

Now, if the old men start saying they need a virgin girl to lie down with them at night just to keep them warm, NO! Give them more heat on the thermostat.

I will poke a stick at them once in a while about giving a short talk in Hawaii to justify their vacation, and it does seem rather that they think too highly of their own importance when they stay in 4 or 5 star hotels (which I couldn't verify) but I could let that go if they were just actually what they say they are.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

In the 70s the GB had some late model giant boat-like top of the line GM cars. The one I got trips to hall in now and then was either a fully loaded 1974 Olds Delta 98 or 95 Buick Electra. Very comfy (red velor interior) but looked like an ugly Caddy. Beat the hell out of the subway.

• under the radar
    under the radar

It's not so much that Knorr received a Cadillac(!), oh my, it's that it was covered up and he treated it as a bribe by doing something he would not have otherwise.

As far as the Cessna 402 goes, that was never covered up. In fact, there was an article (Watchtower or Awake!, I'm not sure) that talked about it and how they used it in Alaska to reach isolated communities.

Cadillacs aren't that special anyway. I think it's just the name that's so iconic. Heck, I've bought several new ones over the years and I'm just a regular working man. I don't buy new cars very often, but when I do, I get a nice one. (Before anyone accuses me of putting on airs, the last new car I bought was in 2007, and it was not a Cadillac.)

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I owned several Cadillacs in my working years. Why? Because I needed the room inside and in the trunk they provided. i had three daughters and a step-daughter and we all traveled together on vacations and other trips. I also had a middle management job with a public utility and was expected to have a car that I could use to take high management people to lunch and to meetings. I usually owned one that was 2 to 4 years old because I could not afford a new one.

But the cars I loved to drive were my 1974 Datsun 260z and my 1981 Toyota Corolla. Those were good cars and fun to drive. The Caddies were crap with leather seats.

In recent years, even though I am older and can afford a Cadillac or Lincoln or even a Lexus, I've found that my favorite car is still my 1995 Toyota Camry. It has 210K + miles on the odometer, but it starts every time, has a nice ride, and everything works. I drive it several times a week and the damn thing won't die and it's now 20 years old. I also own a recent model of Hyundai Sonata - a very good and reliable car. But when my wife and I bought it a couple years ago we drove everything out there - including some high-end models. The difference between the Sonata we bought and most of the other cars we drove that cost tens of thousands more were insignificant. For my wife, most of the others were far too technical and we realized that she would never master the use of the more complex radio and navigation systems.

Looking back, other than the big trunk and extra seating space (in those days all cars had bench seats in front and back), the big Caddies, Buicks, Lincolns and Chryslers offered no advantages at all. In fact, they were harder to park, more expensive to insure, used more gas, were far more expensive to maintain and for the most part were ugly. I remember my subordinates at the public utility I worked at laughing at me when I pulled into the company parking lot in my 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood. "Here comes Mr. JV in his 'Jew canoe'!" So for me, other than space for my family, having a big car was not much of an advantage, but more of an embarrassment. My then wife loved riding in the car but preferred to drive her VW bug to work. A small woman, she really hated driving that beast, because it made her look like a 12-year old driving a truck.

Cadillacs, Chryslers and Lincolns, big Mercedes and BMWs were not very good cars - and were not that much fun to drive.

Some of you might think that for the WT leaders being chauffeured around in a big Caddy or Lincoln would be a big deal. My guess is that except for Rutherford who proudly showed off his Cadillacs, for the others it might have been more embarrassing. I think that is why most of the cars leased by the Watchtower's own auto rental companies are most Buicks (and equivalents). Big, comfortable, etc. - but not too flashy - especially for COs, DOs and Branch Overseers. Not sure what they drive and ride in in Europe. Does anyone here know?

JV

• prologos
    prologos

Percy Chapman the Top man in the Canadian Bethel drove a green Caddy too. Even after his secrets caught up with him and he lost his top "privileges", that perk remained his. ( it could have been a gift, benefectors were wont to splurge on their pets)

Chariots of the wt "gods"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I don't know about a Caddy for the President... but the airplane in Alaska is no secret.. The Society describe it as a means to get the Preaching done up there .. Is the alternative a dog sled?.

the Proclaimers book p 357

• Fulano2
    Fulano2

Again, I don't see the point in using them a Cadillac. It's crap. And @ Juanviejo, don't compare a 7series with any US car please, that's a whole different world.

Co's here in Europe drive modest cars, VW Golf, for example. The branch people have to Buy their OWN cars, mostly older modest cars. And their are cars owned by the society to pick up people, slightly larger but no luxury cars as BMW, MB, Bently etc.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Yes, and they even put a spiritual significance to the registration numbers on the airplane.

1994 Watchtower/4/15/p.23

What a delight to behold! Lifting into the Alaskan skies, a shiny, like-new aircraft with the registration number 710WT emblazoned on the tail! Since both seven and ten are used in the Bible to symbolize completeness, 710 might be taken to emphasize the support Jehovah’s organization has given to lift the veil from hearts enshrouded in darkness.

Take a good look at the numbers and letters on the airplane Blues posted.

Atlantis!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit