I tried to make an elder feel guilty for shunning his 2 children.

by Jeannette 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• alanv
    alanv

I think as well it makes a difference why the children were disfellowshipped. Was it really because they were totally unrepentant sinners, or did they simply say they no longer wished to be JWs. Or maybe they were disfellowshipped for something the bible says nothing about, like smoking maybe. JWs have a long list of their very own rules which the bible says nothing about.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Jeannette:

His wife must still be at home in his care, and it sounds as if she is in a pretty serious condition. At some point she may need to be put into a hospital where her disfellowshipped children could attempt to visit her. Your discussion with this Elder could spark some empathy and compassion that may yield good results. It is nice to see people who care enough about others, to take the time and attempt a family reunion especially under serious conditions. I hope the Elder will listen to your good suggestions.

Atlantis!

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

I don't know why they were disfellowshiped but for goodness sakes, they are children. Not all children accept their parents' religion, they are free individuals and are supposed to think for themselves.

gerryberry, I wrote those numbers down and am going to put them in my wallet so that I can pull them out whenever I bump into him again.

Atlantis-I wll do what I can. Hopefully this terrible, family-distroying cult will soon change this man-made precedent. You think?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Jeannette:

Atlantis-I wll do what I can. Hopefully this terrible, family-distroying cult will soon change this man-made precedent. You think?

--------------------------------------------------------

Well, it would be nice if the Watchtower would change their man-made rules and regulations, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They think that they must keep control of their members, and the threat of disfellowshipping is their final discipline. They know JWs fear it most of all, and I don't think they will change. The fact is, if Jesus Christ Himself were here today and went into a Kingdom Hall it wouldn't be long before they would have Him disfellowshipped.

The Watchtower is just like the Pharisees of Jesus day. They put "Law" or rules and regulations over "Life" and Jesus was just the opposite. Jesus put "Life" above the "Law" and saved lives on the Sabbath.

It is just like those vows a couple take when they are getting married. The minister will usually say something along the lines of: "And let no man come between you your wife or husband. Or "let no man put an end to what God has yoked together." Words along those lines.

If God instituted "Marriage" and no man is to break that union up, then wasn't it also God who instituted "Family" and therefore NO MAN should break that union up either?

If the Watchtower would put "Life" above "Laws" then the "two witness rule" would take a backseat to the safety and Life of a child!

I hope you get to talk to this Elder again and encourage him to show more Love for his own Family!

Atlantis!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

One could say in so many words.....

Yes....and it must be difficult for you and especially "Mrs Elder" as a Mother, to knock on other peoples doors and be recommending her way of life to strangers and their families knowing that you and she are shunning the two kids you brought into this world. I mean, I suppose a householder would understand it if your kids were drug dealers or held up a bank or something but what would they think if they knew you folks had two healthy children who you have intentionally cut out of your life, simply because the don't share your same religious views...especially after loosing an infant child ? Oh well.....the Society is changing a lot of it's former teachings. Maybe they'll change that one before too long. Trouble is....life is short... and things can change rather quickly. One never knows from one day to the next if they'll have the chance to make things right....and to wait for a directive like that to come from people one has never actually even met...well...

• cofty
    cofty

Shepherd book, Page 116, Par. 6. It would not be wrong for the mother to visit with her kids, as long as it were not spiritual association. - berrygerry

Do you have a quote for that please? Is this the reference to "necessary family business"?

• Scully
    Scully

I would assume that visiting and helping out an ailing parent would qualify as Necessary Family Business™, especially since the Congregation™ almost never steps in to do it, insisting that this role is the family's job, not theirs.

On the other hand, perhaps the shunning of the DFd children has created a rift that is beyond repair. It might be a good idea to get their input in case they want nothing to do with parents who put their belief system ahead of family.

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog

anytime you confront jw's for their bad ways you are doing a good thing. keep doing what's in your heart. you will feel a heavy load lifted each time you speak out....

• Scully
    Scully

Here's the quote for you Cofty:

If members of the congregation are known to have undue association with disfellowshipped or disassociated relatives who are not in the household elders should counsel and reason with those members of the congregation from the Scriptures. Review with them information from the "God's Love" book, pages 207-208; The Watchtower of April 15, 1988, pages 26-30; or the article "Display Christian Loyalty When a Relative Is Disfellowshipped" in the August 2002 Our Kingdom Ministry. If it is clear that a Christian is violating the spirit of the disfellowshipping decree in this regard and does not respond to counsel, it may be that he would not qualify for congregation privileges, which require one to be exemplary. He would not be dealt with judicially unless there is persistent spiritual association or he openly criticizes the disfellowshipping decision.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Many JW families still use the "necessary family business" to keep in touch, and to keep a semblance of normality, good for them. It is easy to claim that nothing "spiritual" was mentioned, which is more than likely true.

One Elder I know has all three of his kids DF'd, they are great kids, it was for smoking and that kind of thing mainly, he has them come to dinner at least once a month. Good for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit