I tried to make an elder feel guilty for shunning his 2 children.

by Jeannette 21 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

I ran into an elder the other day at WalMart. He's a fairly good man and has a wife that is very sickly. So sickly in fact I don't know how she's holding on. They had an infant to die years and years ago, and both of their other children are disfellowshipped. So I asked him how his wife was doing and he went on and on about how she was bleeding here and there, (she's been doing this for years). I said "you know, it must be very psychologically hard on her to deal with the death of a child". He said "oh yes, oh yes", then I said "well it's just as hard to deal with the loss of her other children. We're going into hard times, and the family is very important. She needs to see those children". Woops, he forgot to pick up some produce he had overlooked. See ya.

When I see him again, I'm going to continue on with the nit-picking. I've been conjuring up in my mind what I can say to make him feel really guilty for mistreating those children for a "religion" or "a god". There should be no reason on the face of this earth to shun your children. If they are murderers or something, turn them in. Don't shun them. I'm inactive and they know why. (Their fault).

• Spectre
    Spectre

I hope it hit him like a ton of bricks.

• Listener
    Listener

He probably already feels guilty or at least very sad. You could suggest to him that as his wife is very ill there is good reason for her children to be around her and that he shouldn't feel bad because it would come under necessary family business. Remind him that as a proper family unit they could all be supporting each other.

• millie210
    millie210

Tell him to just try it...let the children visit the mom...then tell him to watch her mood and health improve.

That might speak louder than anything.

Good for you for trying Jeannette!

• steve2
    steve2

Good luck on trying to make him feel guilty. On the one side, there's the very organization he belongs to that specializes in making its members feel guilty, and on the other side, there's you doing the same, but for different reasons. A bit of an uneven contest - but the virtue of your approach is, at least you make no pretence of trying to make him feel guilty!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Shepherd book, Page 116, Par. 6.

It would not be wrong for the mother to visit with her kids, as long as it were not spiritual association.

• zeb
    zeb

How is it so many jw are 'sickly'..? It is my observation that jw as a group are the unhealthiest people.

• Heaven
    Heaven

How is it so many jw are 'sickly'..? It is my observation that jw as a group are the unhealthiest people.

zeb, when one marinates oneself in toxic ooze for years it is bound to affect your health.

• steve2
    steve2

Either JWs become more vulnerable to sickliness due to their organization's oppressive policies or the organization's message has its most powerful impact among those who are already sickly. I should imagine that mentally and physically healthy people would find very little of substantial interest in the organization's simplistic message and would be able to 'get out' successfully in one way or another,

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

I think it's the years and years of toxic load carried from continual cognitive dissonance. The mind and body are not distinctly separate entities but function as a unit, and the stress felt by the brain wears down the body's immune system. Sometimes when a physician says "It's all in your head" he may actually be right, not as to imagining a disease but as to the source of the immune system deficiency.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit