Be honest post do all posters on this site believe the bible is 100% or has flaws?

by booker-t 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

It is funny that the organized religion of the time, that eventually became the RCC, decided which scrolls would become the Bible. Then they decided who could and could not read it. Hmmmmm???

DD

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Ironically, the Bible as it is today, was compiled and canonized by the Catholic Church, the same Catholic Church that WT says is foremost among apostate Christendom.

[edit] DD, you beat me to it. You dog you ! LOL.

• idiotnomore
    idiotnomore

It's a myth that the bible is the unmistakable, inerrant word of god completely in harmony with itself. It is loaded with contradictions, factually and otherwise. Many inconsistencies and obviously tons of fairy tales. These are easily researched and discovered today.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Flawed. It's not that I don't believe the Bible, but there's way too many translation issues that obscure truth.

Just one example, at Jude 5, does it say "the Lord" saved out of Egypt, "Jehovah" saved out of Egypt or "Jesus" saved out of Egypt? Very interesting issue this one presents because some of the oldest manuscripts say Jesus. None say "Jehovah". Some say "the Lord". If it says "the Lord", which Lord is it referring to? Lord God? Or Lord Jesus? If it's really Jesus, then what are the implications? Very interesting...

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think that the Bible has some wisdom and some truth in it. I would not make any bets based on it, though. I think that there is a lot of fictionalized/embroidered facts, but I am not betting my life on fiction or embroidery.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The bible is irrelevant to my life - sorry to not really care to enter the debate.

• Violia
    Violia

Why do you preface you question by asking us to "be honest"? Do you think we are frightned children? I still believe in some aspects of the Bible, mostly the areas that give some moral guidance and history. I do believe in God, but not sure what role He has in our lives. I do not see the Bible it as the inspired literal word of God.

I have been listening to Sam Harris a lot lately and he has really been able to remove the cobwebs from my mind. I recommend him to everyone I get the ones on CD. I have read " Waking Up...." and " the End of Faith..." The End of Faith is a real barn burner if you are in a Fundy religion. He wrote it in 2002, if i was just starting to read his books, I'd start with that book. links to his books below.

pardon my lack of spell check

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=sam%20harris%20books&sprefix=sam+harris+%2Cstripbooks%2C317

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit