Jehovah's Witnesses and "winter decorations"

by Lynnie 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

So how many JW's do you know that do "winter decorations" instead of "holiday decorations"? I have a cousin that is upbaptized but very much on board with the JW's but somehow snowmen and pine boughs are okay to decorate the house as long as there is no tree. Have anyone of you heard or seent his practice? And the funny part is my other uber witness cousin is going to visit them and I'm sure NOTHING will be said! Really?

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I also knew MANY JW families that had turkey and the fixings on Thanksgiving, but did not call it Thanksgiving.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses Cult Meme's and Humor
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Excult/

• blondie
    blondie

Actually they are stretching by using pine boughs as they represent eternal life...see pine trees....boughs are just part of a tree.

Lights all year long in your trees (see Disney)

Lights of snowflakes and snowmen/women/children...but leave up past xmas.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

When I was a Jdub I use to decorate for winter .Little lighted houses ,snowmen ,snowflakes ..... I always have had an independent streak in me .That hated that about me .

They complained when I actually put white lights on the porch and a couple of lighted deer in the yard . I told them then they were "Winter Decorations " ..... now you want to see the difference ? I 'll show you .......and we did .....now we have a whole Lighted ,computer aided ,music and light show in our front yard .

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Tygeria's photo.

Seriously, the JWs don't like it becuase the lights are a pagan celbration of the longest winter's night. So, I'd think that any decoration would be pagan and banned. But, perhaps there is "nu light", LOL.

• stillin
    stillin

My first year "in" I was chastised for putting out a pumpkin and some maize for autumn. "Too close" they said. I should have run as fast as my legs could carry me!

• millie210
    millie210

Good thoughts!

I used to have a store and one year I got a great deal on poinsettias that a grower was selling.

(If you live in a country that doesnt have poinsettias - they are a red and green plant commonly used at Christmas that only bloom in the winter)

I banked the front of my store windows with (24 of) them.

An elders wife came along and sure enough, she had a "problem" with the plants.

My answer?

I told her that "I thought it was terrible too that Jehovah would let such a "Christmassy" plant bloom in December! "What was he thinking?" I asked.

I asked her wouldnt it have been better for Jehovah to have these plants bloom in spring instead of causing such temptation?

She was dumbfounded and that ended the conversation.

Looking back, I see more and more that I never really did fit in!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They might stumble someone. Even clear lights strung around the house (and often allowing you to light areas that are difficult to light otherwise) could be enough. And, besides, they will look down on anyone that doesn't qualify to go help those rabbis use black magick on the whole human race this spring--having anything that even looks like it could be Christmas will blow that.

As for that big picture, I hope they are using LED lights. Those are much more energy efficient (so much for that whopper of an electricity bill), allow you to connect more to a single outlet without blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers (or starting a fire), tend to last longer, and are safer. And, if they give you a hard time, just threaten that they will be left up all summer if they don't get out of your face about it.

• idiotnomore
    idiotnomore

I always strung lights of different colors inside and made little pine cone villages. Also used Xmasy potpourri inside. I would string clear lights on my patio. One time some witnesses came over and kind of sneered at everything and made some sarcastic comment. I told them if it was stumbling them then I didn't blame them if they wanted to leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit