Why were no sea creatures destroyed in the flood?

by smiddy 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

TheRedeemer: I wonder how big the bible would be if they removed all the silly stories (i.e. flood, red sea), miracles, violence, atrocities by God, atrocities commited by God's servants, idiotic finicky rules, prophecies and just left facts and good advice?

Not sure where I got this quote from but it seems apropos here:

"Erase the whole bible, and just have one page. Written on that page are bold letters; "Don't be a dick"

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Bill Nye the science guy mentioned that all down the layers of the grand canyon one can find fossils and at no point can you find a group at a different layer or a bunch of fossils or evedence of a buch of animals all died at the same time. He also said the biggest wood ship ever built was the Wyoming and it was shorter then the ark yet because of it length it twisted so much being made of just wood that it was not see worthy and sank.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

As some of you may know I just lost my beloved Poodle and am devestated by his death. As bad as I am still grieving, I cannot understand why God would take the life of innocent animals. There is so much I do not understand about life that all I can believe is that it is an unjust and brutal life. I believe in science and also believe there are things we do not understand. I have often asked myself why do we not see any miracles now,why are we kept in the dark. I have read comments here about how the plants could not have surivived all that time underwater, so I am just confused about the whole matter. I don't know why God would spare the shark and kill all the land animals. Could be just a story but what is the lesson to be learned from that story?

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

The story of Noah's ark and the Flood is a total myth. Why anyone is even concerned with figuring out the details is beyond me. It's all nonsense.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

As the waters were mixed with both salt and fresh water, it would be logical that ALL creatures living in water would have died!

You're kidding, right? Do you know the proportion of salt water vs fresh water? I guess fresh water fish would have died yes, but not salt water creatures.

That is almost like having a gigantic salt water tank at home and dropping one single drop of fresh water in it. Nothing will happen.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

I could think of dozens of scientific reasons Noah's flood should be taken with a grain of salt. One that has always convinced me is the world wide coral reefs. They start at 5k to 10k years old and some are as old as 50m years http://coralreef.noaa.gov/aboutcorals/coral101/polypcolony/. They survive in a narrow environment of depth, temperature, and salinity. Any minor change in any one of these three components would have wiped them out.

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

God didn't target the animals.

But regardless, you are basically saying that God has no right to judge people.

That is your core argument, right?

As an aside, you do eat meat I assume.

See a problem here?

If you are holding Jehovah to a standard (protect ALL life, no matter what), you should follow it as well.

Have you supported just human millitary intervention? It's no different, actually, it's even better when judgment comes from God: he is outside of space time, no margin for error.

• Viviane
    Viviane

But regardless, you are basically saying that God has no right to judge people.

That is your core argument, right?

As an aside, you do eat meat I assume.

See a problem here?

Nope. Explain it if you do.

If you are holding Jehovah to a standard (protect ALL life, no matter what), you should follow it as well.

Who said that was the standard? How about "don't randomly kill millions animals and people for no reason other than a rib lady ate a piece of fruit"?

Have you supported just human millitary intervention? It's no different, actually, it's even better when judgment comes from God: he is outside of space time, no margin for error.

It's very different. God claims to know all yet constantly screws up and doesn't know things, goes on murderous rampages like a two year old pitching a fit and decides to do nothing when he has the power to help the innocent.

• Magnum
    Magnum

SingleCell: Have you supported just human millitary intervention? It's no different, actually, it's even better when judgment comes from God: he is outside of space time, no margin for error.

I'm for military intervention in that I love for evil scum to be destroyed (preferably slowly), but I hate the suffering and death that military intervention often brings to innocents - humans and animals.

You indicate that there was no error on God's part in the flood. If there was no error, then he intentionally killed kittens and puppies and human infants and elderly women. Can you imagine the horror of billions of drownings? I would be horrified watching one single kitten struggling in terror to find something solid to stand on to keep from drowning and then observing the final moments as it just couldn't go on anymore. That memory would haunt me until I dropped. How could a loving god watch billions of similar incidents?

pcop: We are not told the the entire earth was flooded. We are told that a "world" was. That world was the world (locale) in which Noah and other on the earth lived.

JWs are told that the entire earth was flooded.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit