I NEED EVERYONE'S OPINION

by StinkyPantz 14 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I was recently disfellowshipped, I guess about 9 months ago, but I always figured that I would get reinstated. Fortunately, I decided that since I wasn't an active Witness I could go ahead and read all that naughty apostate literature that we weren't allowed to read before. Well, I'm glad that I did, because now my eyes are open. My problem is this and I want everyone's opinion. The rest of my family (mom, dad, 2 brothers) are still Witnesses that rarely talk to me. How do I get them out? My mom has been a JW for 40 years, my dad 30 years and my brothers are 25 and 13. I especially want to be able to talk to my little brother because he's not baptized yet and I want to give him an option to know the truth about this organization. Unfortunately my parents are the die-hard brand of JWs and I fear there is no help for them. I guess you are probably wondering why I care if they remain. Well I remember reading in the bible that those who follow false prophets will have the same fate as the false prophet. I don't want my parents punished because of the JW blinders that they have worn for so long. Is there any way possible to help my little brother, too? So I guess this is what I'm asking for: if any of you have convinced your family of the real truth, how?

StinkyP

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer"

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Welcome to the board, StinkyPantz!

I understand your desire to want your family to "see the light", but the best way to do this is to lead by example. My parents converted to the JW's from Catholicism in the mid-1950's. They are pretty hardcore, and I was raised a JW by them. You cannot beat them over the head with the stuff you've discovered - they are hardwired to believe that any info that doesn't come from Brooklyn is "apostate" in nature, and they will just shut down. Live your life, show them how happy you are, how free you feel - these are the best ways to convince them (or at least get them thinking) that maybe the JW's DON'T have all the answers.

Enjoy this DB, and welcome again!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Whilst some here would acknowledge that you should get others out at all costs, I think you should consider the effect it would have on that person on a case by case basis.
    I, for example, have a close relative who (despite all the damage the society did to me) I believe has found a "home" in the organisation and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    The way you are going about things at best could get you shunned by your family, and at worst is re-inforcing the JW belief that they should not talk to ex-jw's becuase they have alterior motives.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time........

First, put yourself in their shoes. How could we have approached you two years ago when you were a JW?

If you have read Franz’s books, you know the powerful, yet simple counter points to consider. Use these as subjects come up, and you will see a light turn on at one point.

• rowdy
    rowdy

i wish i could type fast but i cant i am very good on this cause of my life feel free to call me at 858 270 4349 my spouse is still in

• ballistic
    ballistic

rowdy, never post your phone number to a message board. press edit to remove it. You can always send it by email instead.

• bajarama
    bajarama

It's like banging your head against the wall. It really hurts and most of the time doesn't get you to far.

Some will listen, some will won't.

Read Ray Franz's book C.O.C. that will give you some direction.

baja

• zanex
    zanex

hmmm gettin the rest o the kinfolk out isnt an easy task. I do not have an answer for ya. I gave up on MY parents years ago, it seems to be better that way. That change from that jw closeminded thinkin is only removed ultimately by the person with the blinders on. Good luck...

-Z-

• detective
    detective

I found Steven hassan's books very helpful. I read Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to think for themselves and also his older book, Combatting Mind Control. It will get you thinking about how you approach them, not just about what you'll say. I highly recommend them.

Hassan has a website www.freedomofmind.com that might help too.

• TheRedPill
    TheRedPill

I agree with Ballistic. One of the major arguments that the WT presents of why the rank and file should not have anything to do with "apostates" (word used very liberally) is that "they pull you out and then leave you with nothing." Although we all know the faults of the organization there are some people that literally NEED it. They do not want to think for themselves, they want someone to tell them what to do and that everything is going to be all right. Some have found a tremendous amount of strength within the JW that has gotten them through some horrible times in their life.

I don't feel, personally, that someones eternal salvation is in jeopardy because they are a JW any more than if they belong to any other religion. Because of I feel that way, I find it difficult to justify tearing away what is a huge part of somebodies life and happiness, just because I think it would be better for them/me.

When people are ready to see the truth, be right there to present it to them. Until then, be sure that you are there for you little brother and the rest of your family. Demonstrate that you are still a good person and that you truly want what is best for them, whether they remain witnesses or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit